3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
speed_man13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I couldnt find anything on the V6 forum for exhaust. Will I really do anything good putting on a different exhaust? I wanna y pipe it(cat back) but was just wondering if it will do anything (benefits) for horsepower or anything. Not much of a mechanic but really just getting into it. eing a V6 and all, was just really curious, or would I just be doing it for looks.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will help, but I'm no mechanic either. From everything I have read back pressure is BS when you have a catalytic converters, but you do need to worry about exhaust velocity. If your pipe is too big then you will lose velocity and power. I'm debating between a new y pipe and muffler vs. true duals with new mufflers and smaller piping so I don't lose exhaust velocity. Either one if done right should give it some more kick.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by chambers
I think it will help, but I'm no mechanic either. From everything I have read back pressure is BS when you have a catalytic converters, but you do need to worry about exhaust velocity. If your pipe is too big then you will lose velocity and power. I'm debating between a new y pipe and muffler vs. true duals with new mufflers and smaller piping so I don't lose exhaust velocity. Either one if done right should give it some more kick.
negative. when i switched from my 40 series, to my 50 series, the difference in low end torque was just as big as when i replaced my exhaust manifolds with headers.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

What is the negative in regard too Derrick?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

a flow 40 works good if your getting single exhaust or a 50 if your getting duals

not too many people on here with turbo mufflers, they sound good just not very loud

Old 03-15-2009, 11:07 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

My advice is go with a straight through muffler like magnaflow if you want performance from it. If you want it to sound nice then go with the chambered one's like flowmaster.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by chambers
What is the negative in regard too Derrick?
referring to back pressure being bs. i thought that too, so i got a 30 series with 3" out (3inch is SO unnecessary). Then i got headers, and gained low end, but had NO high-end. Switched to a 50 series, torque gains were then magnified.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

So you're saying the smaller piping helped? If so then that fits with increased exhaust velocity for our smaller engines b/c it would be harder for the 3.7 to push exhaust out larger piping. Now a larger v8 like the hemi would naturally need larger pipes, but not too big b/c then it would lose velocity similar to what you experienced. I was told by a mechanic that back pressure is BS for any engine w/ cats, but I used to think just like you. He has built and raced cars for 30 years so I think I can trust him on this. It seems to me that the gains you saw were from increased exhaust velocity, which you saw as an increase in back pressure.

One more thing kinda off topic but did your mpg suck when you had the power wire on Derrick?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

yea...i didn't like the power wire. not to diss on nick from airram...but at the track i posted results with and without it, and it made NO difference. BUT, it ate up my mpg...not worse than this jet chip does though...haha. When he [nick] comes home, i wanna drive to his shop and have him do stuff...like, make a road trip out of it.

want my power wire? and my cold air intake that attaches to the resonator (u could still take off the resonator if u want, and make a shorty intake). Let me know, and i'll ship it asap, free of charge.

edit: oh,. u already have one.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Yea I have one, but I think it's been hurting my mpg. I almost never go WOT either so it makes no sense. Anyway I need it to extend my IAT wire so I cut the resistor out of it today and will see if my mpg improves in the next few weeks.

Well back to the exhaust topic I want to go with true duals with like 2.25 piping from the cats back and 2 magnaflow mufflers. The stock muffler is huge on mine, it's like 9x27, I guess I could just replace the y-pipe and muffler and see a gain. If I did it that way I might be able to do it myself and not have to pay someone. What is the stock exhaust pipe size from the cats back?

Last edited by chambers; 03-16-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust