3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Your leveling kit and front end reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your leveling kit and front end reliability

Hey all.

I am a 3rd gen dakota owner, but wanted to ask you guys a general question about your 3rd gen rams with leveling kits.

The 3rd gen dakota and 3rd gen ram 1500 have similar setups, so I wanted to get some input on the reliability of your truck with the kit installed.

I have had some sort of 2" leveling kit installed since my truck was pretty much new, and am now on my third power steering rack. I cannot find any information on there being a link between the leveling kit and the steering rack being unreliable because of it anywhere on the web, but figured I would ask you guys.

The two previous racks that failed on my truck were reported as "leaking at the inner tie rod end"

Anyone have rack problems? How bout your ball joints and other front end components? How many miles do you have on the truck with the leveling kit installed?

Just trying to get a feel for the future

Thanks dudes.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think ive heard of any problems lately, that have been directly related to a leveling kit. I have a 2.5" kit, but its not a spacer, its a torsion key lift.

But, with that said, anytime you play with the original geometry of the front end of a heavy truck, you run the risk of prematurely wearing parts... obviously. I dont see a leveling kit breaking down your front end that fast, and that effective without having another issue to help.

hopefully these other guys can help a little more.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I havn't seen the problem a lot, but it's come up. I got pm'd on another forum about a month ago, guy with the same Rancho Suspension Lift I've got on the same year Ram as mine, is at 60k miles and had his original rack go at 43k and now his second one is shot and the shop suggested it was his lift.
I've had mine on for 28k miles and at 42k now, I have no signs of a rack problem.
I am starting to really question the quality of these rebuilt racks or the installation of them, it seems once someone has a rack go, the replacements don't last for sh*t!!!

Quick Reply: Your leveling kit and front end reliability