3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body Creaking/Squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
well the difference between your " fourms" and ours is we only crack comments like that if we know the other person....now with that said you are new and dont know how we work over hear . we give good answeres to honest questions ..keep it up and you will get stomped we are a prety tight group on hear you either get along with our fourm or just beat it .
I am getting along and giving good information.

In the OP's case, the only way he's going to find out what's wrong is by actually looking, until then anyone posting is making wild shots in the dark.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it started doing it after you installed the steps. I'll bet its your steps. are they the ones that mount on the body mounts? just try greasing them up really good and see if that helps. and even try having some one shake the truck and you get underneath and see where the noise is comin from

Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks ramhunter, much appreciated. FYI "rebel", the problem has been going for weeks and i've exhausted all other possibilities. coming on here for help is usually my last source.

by the way, you're the reason internet forums have a bad name. I love this forum and most of the people in it... def the best forum on the net (i've been a part of many)

Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
thanks ramhunter, much appreciated. FYI "rebel", the problem has been going for weeks and i've exhausted all other possibilities. coming on here for help is usually my last source.

by the way, you're the reason internet forums have a bad name. I love this forum and most of the people in it... def the best forum on the net (i've been a part of many)
You can feel however you want, but I gave you the same info anyone else would.

You say it's been going on for weeks, was it before or after you installed the steps? If it was after, how do the steps mount?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

ok lets just settle down "rebel" you have good points and i forgot to welcome you to DF but just know your limits on hear thats all im sayin feel out the group before comminting something stupid. lest just all play nice

and johnny......i hate that kurt bush....dam kid keeps on winning got another one today

Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

squeaking started immediately after the step tubes were installed so im positive it has something to do with them (unless its some freak coincidence). They are the westin step tubes, so they bolt up to the body bolts (4 total). I've already tried greasing all 4 bolts, and it didnt make it any better. Not sure what else COULD cause the squeak concerning the step tubes

Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of noises......a few hours ago I turned into a McDonad's drive-thru and heard a strange metallic sound that appears to be coming from the rear of the truck (rear as in back). It is intermittent and it sounds like when you have a big rock stuck in a tire, except its metallic. And it sounds like an exterior noise, not emanating from inside a component like the transmission or rear end.

I checked underneath the truck and cannot find anything loose. The U-joints appear solid, too. The fact that it is intermittent is what has me stymied, and it appears to go away (or just isn't loud enough to hear) when I'm driving 30+ mph.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

squeaking started immediately after the step tubes were installed so im positive it has something to do with them (unless its some freak coincidence). They are the westin step tubes, so they bolt up to the body bolts (4 total). I've already tried greasing all 4 bolts, and it didnt make it any better. Not sure what else COULD cause the squeak concerning the step tubes
Are the bolts torqued pretty hard?

Try making a make-shift bushing to buffer where the step mounts could or are rubbing against their mounts.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

I dont remember cranking on them exceptionally hard, but I didnt want them coming loose either. I tried to mimic what they were torqued to before. I may have to run with that bushing idea. Maybe cut a rubber washer to put between the step tube mount and the metal washer/bolt.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

I dont remember cranking on them exceptionally hard, but I didnt want them coming loose either. I tried to mimic what they were torqued to before. I may have to run with that bushing idea. Maybe cut a rubber washer to put between the step tube mount and the metal washer/bolt.

Crank on them as hard as you can, within reason, don't put a 4' pipe on your ratchet.

A lot of people have squeaks after doing a body lift because they didn't tighten the bolts up well enough.

Quick Reply: Body Creaking/Squeeking