3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MY HID retrofit with FX35 projectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
stfuBUDDY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY HID retrofit with FX35 projectors

So this is the right way to use HID;s, so that it wont glare and people wont hate you, how many of you guys do retro fits? and watch this video of mine so that you can see my retro fit,what i did was use infinty projectors and install them in my headlight, fast foward towards the end, and yea problem is my rams suck with HID in the firstt place, but that is not the point... lol

Old 03-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

The flickering is a common problem. I'm not sure how to fix it off hand, but google is your friend, and I'm searching as well.

What I do know is that if you keep letting them flicker, the ballast will fry.

Edit - Do you have day time running lights?

Last edited by Rebeltilldeath3; 03-23-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
stfuBUDDY

no i dont have DRL's, i searched too, they all used a relay, i have a relay and still nothing, some say to use 55 watt ballast, = more money and ugh... the problem is the truck itself, if you watch the whole video there is a part when we test the factory socket and it doesnt give a constant power supply, that is the problem... i need to fix it, i cant stop thinkign about it

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
abarmby
Champion

It's because your HID kit, does not present to the trucks computer enough of a resistive load.
The stock bulbs have resistance. HID's with their electronics do not present this same resistance.
That was proven, by you tapping into the park lamp bulbs. This produced enough of a load from the park lamp bulbs, so the trucks computer didn't switch on/off and cycle/hunt, looking for the normal bulb type lights.
Tie in your new HID's with the park lamp and you should be ok.
Either that, or get several high wattage resistors like I have in my kit to provide a load and appear as a standard filament bulb to the computer and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM
stfuBUDDY

yea but everything goes haywire when i tap it into the parking lights, when i use the signal it sends the high beams lol and what do you mean by higher wattage resitors? like 55 watt ballast? i heard that only works for 06+ rams

Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 AM
mariano3113
Default Same Boat??

Did you get yours all wired up yet?

I'll be getting my TL Retro fit wired up by next week. Just waiting on a wiring harness to come in.

I had a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 and had a plug'n'play kit in it, but because I couldn't get the stock connectors to work I ran them to a switch that I installed in on the lower console. (had a v-6 5-speed ram, which had a floor console)

Now I'm tackiling the task of having true Bi-xenon projectors on my 05 Ram. I went with TL porjectors with the zkw replica lenses and some 85122+'s. I ordered the Retrofit Source harness before finding a harness made by twiggy that should solve the issue. His harness works with his FX35 retrofit with 3 lamp-outs in the the past 3 months when it's been real cold outside. It also comes with a built-in lamp simulators that plugs into the unsused passenger connection to fool the truck into not throwing a lamp-out error.

I will let you know how it goes, I'm determined to get this done right and to have it done by next week at the latest. That way I can go back to finishing my FX retrofit on my bike.

Cheers, Mariano

Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 AM
dane25
Rookie

thanks for the share...

Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This is the plus that goes on the pass side light harness and tricks the truck. This came in my kit from Chad @ Unique Coatings. Obviously those are resistors in heat sinks and lemme tell you know, they do get hot.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

yup, all you need is more resistance.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
stfuBUDDY

nope, i took those projectors out and installed ORACLE HALO LIGHTS instead... too much problems with the rams computer,SO FOR ME IT WAS A FAILED ATTEMPT i put the projectors in my moms 2008 explorer, it looks OEM so i think it looks better on her car.. http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/p...urrent=AAC.flv

Quick Reply: MY HID retrofit with FX35 projectors