3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing Chains/Strap Questions--Video Clip Too

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Towing Chains/Strap Questions--Video Clip Too

Ive pretty much gotten the idea of what kind of flat bed I am going to get so that I can transport my 'balt & the Jeep. I was looking at these 2 types of trailers...

http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/tand...0-lb-gvwr.html
--and--
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/diam...0-lb-gvwr.html

other than making sure I have the right size ball and the standard wiring & fittings, which does everyone think would be better suited for the 06/07 Ram 1500 4x4 to pull??
(I will have airbags, 4.56 gears & SC tuner installed as well on the truck)

The Cobalt weighs about shy of 3900lbs if I remember correctly, and the jeep I wanna say is about 5800lbs (guessing) it weighs in about 4300-4500 (I checked) so I know that both the trailers would handle them.

Also, as far as tie downs & chains, what kind would I be needing to look at that would be secure enough to hold these vehicles to the flatbed? Brands, prices, links would be helpful.

**Edit**

I'm looking for tie down rather than pull out of mud or whatever - The Jeep is equipped with its own power winch so I'm just looking to tie down and transport to and from the mud. Thanks!!

Also - I thought I would add this. Taken from the last time I was out in the Jeep with the Krawlers for Frostbite... Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ-MDed8sUA

** Edit # 2 **

Since ppl are wondering what the Jeep looks like and why I said I think it would weigh that much at max is that the thing is a monster - there is a reason why its nicknamed ' big brother ' :

That - is big brother - that bumper and winch alone weigh about 400 pounds, and he has some extra reenforcements on the back underside of the truck, plating and everything to protect things like the gas tank and everything when we are out on the rocks. He put about 8k into it since he got back from Iraq last December.

--Cow-Chick--

Last edited by RodeoRamCowgirl; 03-23-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

if you are going to have the gears installed ...rember the break in time . i wouldnt pull that weight without breakin them in.
as far as straps just get some 3' ratchet straps you know the heavy duty kind and you should be fine . just rember to hook them to the frame and aply the parkin brakes . as far as the trailer any of the two should be fine just set the SC to tow mode , seems like you know what your doing you will be fine
good luck and safe trip

Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing you'll be over the limit with the Jeep. Your towing capacity is probably in the 7,500# to 7,800# range, I notice neither says how much the trailer weighs. And I suspect the trailer weighs more than a ton.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

If I was you, I'd get both of the trailer. Hell, the price on them is $0.00, so get a couple. lol
I'd imagine as stated above that the trailer and Jeep might be quite a bit of weight, and over time might give you some problems. You don't need to worry about the engine, but I'd just be checking for any straining in the rear end of the truck.
Good luck on what you get.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

i would get chains with binders on them. like the truckers use. probably a bit overkill, but thats all i would use on something that has wheels and could potentially roll around. straps can stretch too much, i wouldnt trust em. Semigod might have an opinion on this...

Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
i would get chains with binders on them. like the truckers use. probably a bit overkill, but thats all i would use on something that has wheels and could potentially roll around. straps can stretch too much, i wouldnt trust em. Semigod might have an opinion on this...
If you buy some quality straps with quality ratchets (kinedyne sp?) and pre stretch the straps you should not need to worry about stretching much at all besides it its good practice to stop and re check the load regardless what you are using to secure the load. I haul alot of cars and have found these straps by MAC (not the tool company but a seperate company) and they are great pieces of equipment. Also to the original poster cowgirl what Jeep do you have that weighs 5800lbs this thing must be a beast because my near stock TJ weighed about 3500lbs.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
I'm guessing you'll be over the limit with the Jeep. Your towing capacity is probably in the 7,500# to 7,800# range, I notice neither says how much the trailer weighs. And I suspect the trailer weighs more than a ton.
I know, I know that the 7000# one would be right there with the Jeep on it, I dont know exactly what the jeep weighs because he's put some mods on it, I know the brush bumper and the winch alone are another 250lbs than the jeep was stock, and I know that the tires and the lift add to that.

I plan on making sure the truck can handle the Jeep if we tow it, there was an 05 Hemi that is more stock than I plan to have my truck at before I tow anything with it, and by far, the Jeep will not be a regular towing event. Re-enforcing what I just said though, regardless, I am going to make sure that my truck will handle it before I do it. I may be a girl whos learning the mechanics of the truck she will be driving, but I am not stupid like some people think in this world of mine.

**Edit**

Mike - I didnt know if you been around and seen me around or not, but I dont have the Ram yet, but I am very close to being able to have the check in my hand and make the trip to go buy it. I'm doing my homework, as I will more than likely be buying the truck, some mods and the trailer all at the same time or right about the same time.

--Cow-Chick--

Last edited by RodeoRamCowgirl; 03-23-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hemiguy0302
Also to the original poster cowgirl what Jeep do you have that weighs 5800lbs this thing must be a beast because my near stock TJ weighed about 3500lbs.
That's what I was wondering. My truck weighs around 5500 lbs. But I didn't want to say anything, because she could have some good weight on there with bigger tires and what not, but I still have a heck of a time believing that much weight.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by ried69
If I was you, I'd get both of the trailer. Hell, the price on them is $0.00, so get a couple. lol
I'd imagine as stated above that the trailer and Jeep might be quite a bit of weight, and over time might give you some problems. You don't need to worry about the engine, but I'd just be checking for any straining in the rear end of the truck.
Good luck on what you get.
+1 - thanks

I planned on making sure I had air bags that could assist with this issue, with the gears once they are properly broken in and that in the rear of my truck I figured it would lessen the strain that the weight would put on the axle and just the truck in General

--Cow-Chick--

Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by ried69
That's what I was wondering. My truck weighs around 5500 lbs. But I didn't want to say anything, because she could have some good weight on there with bigger tires and what not, but I still have a heck of a time believing that much weight.
I edited it and put a pic of big brother up on my orig post - he has a lot of stuff underside to protect in the back, and that bumper and winch are all solid. I dont know how much it weighs exactly, and I gather 5800 is a high end, but I rather over guess than under guess, right?

--Cow-Chick--

Quick Reply: Towing Chains/Strap Questions--Video Clip Too