3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I got my 3865 today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Kebo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my 3865 today!

Might be my imagination, but seems like the tune is better than it used to be. I had a 3815 that I sold over a year ago. Anyway, shift points are much better, the exhaust seems a little louder (probably my imagination), and the acceleration is much better. I have it tuned with the performance tune. I won't be able to tell if I am getting any better gas mileage until after I burn off this first tank of gas. I am going to play with this tank. Registered and updated it with no problems. Now I can't wait until Friday, when my Volant arrives. Then the "Big 3" will be complete.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you located? Warmer weather means sound waves get longer and in turn your exhaust gets louder. Same with bass. Bass is louder at 80* weather than it is at 30* weather.

Your middle tune is gonna net you the best mileage. I have the diablo and went through all 3 tunes. 91oct mds off gets the best mileage for me anyways. Did you turn off your mds??? That will make your truck shift so much better than before. night and day. Highly recommended.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

its not that its a 3865 instead of a 3815. the tunes were updated recently, updateable on both 3815 and 3865 tuners.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Kebo
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Where are you located? Warmer weather means sound waves get longer and in turn your exhaust gets louder. Same with bass. Bass is louder at 80* weather than it is at 30* weather.

Your middle tune is gonna net you the best mileage. I have the diablo and went through all 3 tunes. 91oct mds off gets the best mileage for me anyways. Did you turn off your mds??? That will make your truck shift so much better than before. night and day. Highly recommended.
I am in North Carolina. The temps today are in the mid 40's. There is not really a middle tune with this unit. There is the Mileage XS, 87 tune, tow tune, and performance tune. But while gas is cheap I am going to run performance.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kebo
I am in North Carolina. The temps today are in the mid 40's. There is not really a middle tune with this unit. There is the Mileage XS, 87 tune, tow tune, and performance tune. But while gas is cheap I am going to run performance.
Huh, that's a bit diff than the Diablo. i have 89/91/93 tunes. Tow tune... That has to be the same as the Tow/haul mode button??? Weird they would do something like that unless it has more to do with engine settings as well. Either way, I'm glad i bought my predator. I like the 91 tune and my tow button...lol

Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Huh, that's a bit diff than the Diablo. i have 89/91/93 tunes. Tow tune... That has to be the same as the Tow/haul mode button??? Weird they would do something like that unless it has more to do with engine settings as well. Either way, I'm glad i bought my predator. I like the 91 tune and my tow button...lol
the Tow/Haul in a SC backs off of the timing and shifting a little bit from the 91 tune so you don't knock when you load up the motor a little more, and don't blow up your trans.

From my experiences, the tow/haul button overrides programmer shift settings. why program and use the button too??

Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are there any differences between this one and the 3815 other than the tuner's case itself?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

Nice.... I still want the newer version but everytime I call and ask the sales guys they keep saying its the 3815 they're selling.

Kebo do you remember who you talked to on the phone when you placed your order????

Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
So are there any differences between this one and the 3815 other than the tuner's case itself?
Pretty much no. They made the case smaller, so the electronics are changed, still offers the same tunes. They said something about a backlite but... the 3815 has it too. I just asked in the superchips sticky the other day as I had just bought the 3815.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Kebo
Professional

It is much smaller than the 3815.....it is about the size of a blackberry. And it does seem to program quicker than the 3815 did. You can operate it with one hand. I drove it home from work and man did she have some quick pickup and hard shifting. Just the way I like it. No more lag time when you step on that pedal on the right.

Quick Reply: I got my 3865 today!