3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AIT sensors w/ inline resistors for more MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the engine doesn't care if you got anything below 40, that's the lowest it will go. that's why those things don't work in the winter.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ok, so I have been reading a bit about the guys running Powerwires and seeing the threads about adding resistors in-line to the AIT to get lower temps and then hopeful better MPGs.

So I went to RS last week and bought a pack of 2.2k, 3.3k and 4.7k resistors. I took one out of each pack and made it into a PNP harness of sorts and took some readings and here is what I got. All readings were taken from my SC3815 with the truck at normal op temps at idle and in park with the hood fully up.

Without any resistor I was reading 89 degrees on the AIT.

With a resistor of 2.2k I read 78 degrees (a difference of 11 degrees)

With a resistor of 3.3k I read 73 degrees (a difference of 16 degrees)

With a resistor of 4.7k I read 67 degrees (a difference of 22 degrees)

So with those numbers it might be assumed that since 2.2k gives a difference of 11 degrees and 4.7k is 2x the amount of resistance of 2.2k and gives 2x the amount of temp difference (22 degrees) then a resistor double that of 4.7k might again give double the difference of temp readings of approx 44+/- degrees.

There are many threads over the lowers MPGs from a 90/10 Ethanol blend and I myself have been a long victem. In my 04 5.7 with the mods in my sig I got around 12mpg with a 90/10 blend. However, when I paid a very few cents more for a no-blend (100% gas) I instantly noticed I was averaging 14mpg. Keep in mind I have loud exhaust and I love to hear it which means I love to drive hard and fast.

But with all this being said and done, I filled up earlier today with 100% fuel (89 octane), put the 4.7k on the AIT and reset the PCM. I will let you guys know what MPG I end up with.
Are these 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt resistors that you did your test with?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR
Are these 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt resistors that you did your test with?
Doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ok, so I have been reading a bit about the guys running Powerwires and seeing the threads about adding resistors in-line to the AIT to get lower temps and then hopeful better MPGs.
Adding a resistor to lower the temps will cause extra fuel to be sent into the cylinders as the computer thinks the truck is cold. When you start a cold vehicle, the blend runs extra rich until it warms up and then it leans out. So, by putting in any type of resistor in your IAT means you will get reduced gas mileage! The power to be had with any resistor or powerwire is negligible.

Also, you CANNOT go by the onboard computer for your mileage estimates if that's what you have done. It does not give a fair reading for very short distances as the numbers will change dramatically depending on exact time driving..I.E..foot to the floor type of thing..ETC...
Any alcohol blend gas will give reduced mileage since it burns quicker.
The easiest way to improve mileage is to get 100% gas and STOP listening to your exhaust and being harsh on the gas. You cannot have a V8 deep exhaust and a fast truck that gets Prius mileage. Just going without your exhaust screaming to please your ears will certainly help out in the MPG department.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Doesn't matter.
Agreed, because there is not muc passing through these resistors. However to asnwer the question, I used 1/2 but thats only because thats what RD had in stock

Adding a resistor to lower the temps will cause extra fuel to be sent into the cylinders as the computer thinks the truck is cold. When you start a cold vehicle, the blend runs extra rich until it warms up and then it leans out. So, by putting in any type of resistor in your IAT means you will get reduced gas mileage!
Thats what some people say, but this whole "old" idea and test comes from so many guys running Powerwires and claiming they are getting 1-2mpg more. I myself dont put a lot of faith in such claims but if a pack of resistors only costs $1 each, what can I lose?

The power to be had with any resistor or powerwire is negligible.
Again, some people claim 1-2mpg. I personally would be upset to buy one at $50 and get nothing it claims (claims are listed below)

Also, you CANNOT go by the onboard computer for your mileage estimates if that's what you have done. It does not give a fair reading for very short distances as the numbers will change dramatically depending on exact time driving..I.E..foot to the floor type of thing..ETC...
No, on my spreedsheet I have ambient temps, AIT temps, octane level, SC tune, overhead MPG and hand calculated mpg as a few of the more important items to record. With no resistor but running a 87 tune with the SC on 100% fuel, my OH says I was getting 13.4 while my hand held says 12.98mpg.

Yep, thats why I try hard to find stations who dont sell blended gas when 100% is only a few cents more. Why now (as of yesterday) it was the same price from the blended stations and the non-blended stations. Its all about how edcauted you are or how much you care.

The easiest way to improve mileage is to get 100% gas and STOP listening to your exhaust and being harsh on the gas. You cannot have a V8 deep exhaust and a fast truck that gets Prius mileage. Just going without your exhaust screaming to please your ears will certainly help out in the MPG department.
You are absolutely right, but there is one main thing you need to recognize and understand. Ive never complained about my MPG. I knew when I bought the truck it was going to be bad and I didnt but iy fors it great gas mileage either. Im not one trying to turn a HEMI into a Prius either. This thread to merely to help others who are wanting to use a Powerwire determine if they really need to use it and spend $50 on it or use other alternatives.

The website for Powerwire says "Reports of .5 to 1 MPG have been reported under easy driving conditions." Well you need to be able to read into that and understand the said but not fully comprehended words. It says under easy driving conditions. Well hell I could probably get that now if I didnt keep my cutouts open and kept it under 2k RPM. But there again, that isnt why I bought my truck and not why Im am posting all of this info. This isnt for me, this is for the guys who want some numbers and (I used the term loosely) education.

So overall and now that you have taken the time to reply on the topic, I am curious on what mileage you get on what fuel and how you feel about having/using a Powerwire? Is it a sham or a pure try to achieive slight better mileage and power?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

gotta get you on your syntax. Alcohol fuels burn SLOWER than gasoline, but you need more liquid alcohol fuel to have the same energy output as gasoline, so you pump more in to get the same power out.

the benefit of the power wire is not the added fuel. the benefit is the tweak in timing because it thinks the air is colder, so it thinks you won't knock. of course the downside is the potential for knock.

The reality is, however, that we have knock sensors that way over compensate for a knock condition by retarding timing. a 5k resistor shouldn't be enough to make the engine knock, but if it does (high load condition maybe?) you lose all your benefit and then some. But then it will try to advance till it knocks again, and go back and forth. eventually, I think it will just compensate for the resistance value.

if your going to put a resistor or powerwire on there, start pumping a higher grade of gas so the engine can advance timing and not knock and you can get the full benefit permanently.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:10 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea well I didn't buy a truck for mpg or anything, but getting a little more is a bonus. I felt better throttle response with the power wire on mine, but my mpg which I hand calculate was worse. I think Nick has stated that the power wire only adds fuel at WOT and the rest of the time the A/F ratio is locked. I'm not sure how my mileage was worse when using it since I never went WOT when I had it installed. I need to find a station around me that sells pure gas b/c everywhere I have been is 10% ethanol.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
Yea well I didn't buy a truck for mpg or anything, but getting a little more is a bonus. I felt better throttle response with the power wire on mine, but my mpg which I hand calculate was worse. I think Nick has stated that the power wire only adds fuel at WOT and the rest of the time the A/F ratio is locked. I'm not sure how my mileage was worse when using it since I never went WOT when I had it installed. I need to find a station around me that sells pure gas b/c everywhere I have been is 10% ethanol.
So my understanding of the Powerwire is is it true PnP right? Do you have a meter you can check the resistance across the leads and on each wire and post the results? Ive seen people ask for it before but no one has produced any answers.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't checked the resistance on the power wire, but I think it just uses a 4.7k resistor in on of the wires which you can get from radioshack. I still needed the wire as an extension wire for my intake so I just cut the resistor out of it.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 PM
jseim44

Hi Guys, first time posting here, but I've been reading on this site for weeks.

Anyway, I'm very interested in this Powerwire I read so much about, but I'm not really sure if I understand what it does.

I know that it makes the computer think it's cooler outside than it really is (depends on how big of resistor you use) but what does that make the computer do? I've read it gives it more fuel but does it also change the timing any? I'm looking for ways to get somewhat better mileage from my 03 Hemi. I know, I know, it's a pickup, get used to it. 85% city and 15% highway I'm lucky to break 11.0 mpg. I'm looking for any good ideas to help, and if this Powerwire does the trick, I'm all for it. Does anyone see any problems doing this on a daily driver with 86,000 miles on it?

Thanks,
-Jake

Old 03-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Originally Posted by jseim44
Hi Guys, first time posting here, but I've been reading on this site for weeks.

Anyway, I'm very interested in this Powerwire I read so much about, but I'm not really sure if I understand what it does.

I know that it makes the computer think it's cooler outside than it really is (depends on how big of resistor you use) but what does that make the computer do? I've read it gives it more fuel but does it also change the timing any? I'm looking for ways to get somewhat better mileage from my 03 Hemi. I know, I know, it's a pickup, get used to it. 85% city and 15% highway I'm lucky to break 11.0 mpg. I'm looking for any good ideas to help, and if this Powerwire does the trick, I'm all for it. Does anyone see any problems doing this on a daily driver with 86,000 miles on it?

Thanks,
-Jake
First off this is not a Prius. If you want to play you are gonna pay. I have toyed with allot of mods with my truck just to see what happens with gas mileage. I have tried CAI,Super chips,Power wire but I think the one thing that made the biggest difference was installing the electric fan. There was an immediate increase in my gas mileage +2.5 MPG and this is doing the math not paying attention to the liitle monitor on the roof.

Quick Reply: AIT sensors w/ inline resistors for more MPGs