3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trip computer problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
tazmyster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip computer problems

I just removed and cleaned the throttle body following instructions from here. I pulled the negative battery cable while doing the job and rest the PCM using the removing fuse 23 option. I took the truck for a 10 mile trip to the gas station, shut it off and refuled and then drove home. Now I am having problems with my overhead trip computer. The outside temp shows 130 degrees F. The average fuel econmoy reading resets to zero each time the truck is turned off. I am assuming the problems are related to pulling fuse 23. Any ideas? Do I need to drive it further in order to get the computer back into a "normal" mode or something?

Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I hate to say this but....I ain't never heard of that before! I have cleaned a couple of throtle bodys, mine and other peoples, and I always just unhook the battery. Never heard of pulling a fuse. I would say try unhooking the battery for a while, hook it back up and maybe everything will reset.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Al Gore's been near your truck (global warming an' all). When I replaced my O/H, it took a day or so for it to settle down. Did you maybe bump/dislodge the temp sensor? It's near the driver's side headlight. Maybe it's resting on something hot?

The procedure is to remove the PCM fuse, turn the key to run (not start). Let all the dinging stop, then put the fuse back an' start 'er up.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
tazmyster

Well that stinks. It is always bad news when someone tells you that you are the first to experience a problem. I did not hit the temp sensor. I pulled the fuse, turned the key on, waited till the noise stopped (it dinged 3 times), turned the key off and replaced the fuse. Truck started and ran fine, but now the overhead computer is acting funny. I am going to try unhooking the negative battery cable today for awhile and see if that helps.

UPDATE: I unhooked the negative battery terminal and then let it sit for a while. Hooked it back up and the temp sensor is working properly again. Hopefully this takes care of the situation.

Last edited by tazmyster; 04-03-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: trip computer problems