3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome Your Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I just like busting on people's lack of spell check usage...hehehehe

My truck is not a goat sucker and certainly not a long lived creature. Well I suppose it could be my own personal creature....lmao
Where did you come up with that anyways. It's been a long time since I've heard anyone talking about that. Chupacabra is merely a made up legend. they are simply mange coydogs or mange coyotes that some people think are unkown species...lol What out for those UFO's too.
come on Dog... we ain't doing that spell check stuff again, are we?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 AM
JMB3384
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heavy_Sack
i think chrome is bad all together. and plating shouldn't be done on alumnin for any long term results
I felt the same way until I found out about this finish. My buddy supplies it to many brand new dealership cars, etc... so far so good. Its not real chrome so that makes me feel better about the finish as far as lasting and keeping up the finish. It is actually about 90% lighter than chrome plating but extremely tough like powder coat. In fact another friend of mine applied it to his 92 z28 and he has had no problems at all (its been about 2 years now). I hear you on your opinion though. Most finishes go to garbage after a while. This has a lifetime warrenty too!

I messed up on the number in my first post. Its 248 373-1300 , NOT 248 373-1302. the 1302 is the fax number.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

why wouldnt you polish aluminum? or better yet just buy some of the wheels that me and 04fourseven seem to have made so popular lol. just kidding, but seriously you can polish anything you want that is aluminum basically. and blemishes can be re-polished. somethin else to think about i guess.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I have not had any of my own rims chrome plated, but I have read a lot of discussions about it on other forums. One of the best companies is California Chrome Wheel. They have a wheel exchange program so you could buy four chrome plated OEM wheels plus a core charge, then ship your wheels back to them and get the core money returned. They will also mount and balance tires on the wheels if you desire.

From what I understand, chrome plated aluminum wheels are great unless you drive in areas where they use a lot of salt on the roads in the winter. The salt will corrode the chrome.

Last edited by Joel_MD; 04-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
I have not had any of my own rims chrome plated, but I have read a lot of discussions about it on other forums. One of the best companies is California Chrome Wheel. They have a wheel exchange program so you could buy five chrome plated OEM wheels plus a core charge, then ship your wheels back to them and get the core money returned. They will also mount and balance tires on the wheels if you desire.

From what I understand, chrome plated aluminum wheels are great unless you drive in areas where they use a lot of salt on the roads in the winter. The salt will corrode the chrome.
L.A. Wheel And Tire has the same exchange program...not a bad deal at all.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
NoBlinger
Rookie

I have some 20" "Chrome Clads" that I will trade for the polished aluminum ones.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
pmillen

I e-mailed Goodrich Technology, http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/, asking about a nearby PermaStar provider. They are quick to respond and provided this additional information, "We do not do rechroming. We do not have the ability to strip chrome finishes and more importantly, parts and especially wheels that have been chromed have been subject to hydrogen embrittlement which causes the metal to become brittle.”

Quick Reply: Chrome Your Aluminum Wheels