3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome Your Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 AM
pmillen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Your Aluminum Wheels

Most of the car/truck magazines have an add or two for chroming aluminum wheels. Has anyone had this done to stock wheels? What's your opinion?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pmillen
Most of the car/truck magazines have an add or two for chroming aluminum wheels. Has anyone had this done to stock wheels? What's your opinion?
You mean Ad?
Chroming these days....??? You need a place that does the proper 3 stage chroming process, not the cheapo 2 stage. That will ensure quality and won't get you pitted wheels within 1yr. That is why OEM guys are using plastic as chrome. it's cheaper and easier to produce.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 AM
JMB3384
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from chroming your wheels. I worked at a dealership and a tire shop in the past and I have seen some crappy results. Even if you get the better quality chroming process done you still could possibly have a balancing issue. I am not saying you will but it is possible. In many cases it is not able to be resolved and keeps your truck driving with a vibration at certain speeds. A friend of mine owns his own tire shop and he stayed away from the chroming process but he did find an alternative, which I personally think is much better. I forgot what it is called exactly but I saw the results on many of the cars he has done and the stuff is amazing. Basically it is a coating very similar to powercoating, as tough as powercoat and looks exactly like chrome. Not to mention it comes with a lifetime warrenty on the finish. It will never pit, peel, oxidize, fade, corrode, etc. The part i like best is you can drive through all weather conditions and not have to worry about it. Oh and you can get either chrome or black chrome!! I forgot the prices but I'm pretty sure it is similar to chroming prices. You should give him a call @ 248 373-1300. The shop is called U S Wheel Exchange and is located in Madison Heights Michigan. You can ask for Joe or Marcus. The only downfalls are he is not able to do center caps, or wheels that are chrome, only non chrome wheels. I think it is because most caps are not metal and in the process the tempertures get pretty high (melting plastic lol). Here are some pics, some from him and some from a distributer. You can go to www.permastar.com to read up on it, same process. When i get some extra cash i am going to get the SRT wheels and have them finished. Anyway here are the pics!

Last edited by JMB3384; 04-09-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
MikeFarm
Professional

I think the link for the manufacture should have been http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/ this is the Permastar home page

Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 AM
JMB3384
Professional

Yeah MikeFarm your right!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Great info.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM
jagass
Professional

Chroming stock wheels is good...

Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
pmillen

Thanks for the PermaStar info. It looks like the solution to my aluminum wheel corrosion problem.

DirtyDog: "Add" -- Yup, I meant ad. I don't know where that extra d came from. I think my word processor added it and I overlooked it. Re: Your avatar – Is that el chupacabra?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Heavy_Sack
Professional

i think chrome is bad all together. and plating shouldn't be done on alumnin for any long term results

Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pmillen

DirtyDog: "Add" -- Yup, I meant ad. I don't know where that extra d came from. I think my word processor added it and I overlooked it. Re: Your avatar – Is that el chupacabra?
I just like busting on people's lack of spell check usage...hehehehe

My truck is not a goat sucker and certainly not a long lived creature. Well I suppose it could be my own personal creature....lmao
Where did you come up with that anyways. It's been a long time since I've heard anyone talking about that. Chupacabra is merely a made up legend. they are simply mange coydogs or mange coyotes that some people think are unkown species...lol What out for those UFO's too.

Quick Reply: Chrome Your Aluminum Wheels