3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do I need a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
slackjaw71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up with the "performance" octane ratings too? 87, 91, or 93 performance octane ratings. I thought my book said to run 89 octane, so with a turner can I run 87? Can't even get 89 octane here, been running 88.5. Gas ain't cheap up here, its been hovering around $2.40/galllon, not sure if I'd want to add two dimes onto that to run 91.

What is WOT? Can't figure that out for the life of me.

Tim

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run the 87 tune with 89 gas. it works great for me.wot is wide open throttle meaning when you floor it...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by slackjaw71
What's up with the "performance" octane ratings too? 87, 91, or 93 performance octane ratings. I thought my book said to run 89 octane, so with a turner can I run 87? Can't even get 89 octane here, been running 88.5. Gas ain't cheap up here, its been hovering around $2.40/galllon, not sure if I'd want to add two dimes onto that to run 91.

What is WOT? Can't figure that out for the life of me.

Tim

WOT means wide open throttle

Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM
slackjaw71

Ah-ha. Got it. Wide open throttle, I was trying to figure out what it meant!

Tim

Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Do I need A Tuner", that's like asking a bunch of kinds in a candy store if they need candy. lol Probably the number one mod on this forum. As for needing it probably not, wanting it yes. I used a 2500 last year with the Hemi and towed a 4000 lb boat. I didn't even know it was there. As far as Fuel mileage it is a 2500 not sure that even exist for a truck that size.lol Congrats on your new purchase.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM
bigcountry343

I was also wondering about issues with the lifetime warrenty anyone know for sure?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:34 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigcountry343
I was also wondering about issues with the lifetime warrenty anyone know for sure?
Get caught with the tune in and it'll void that sucker....best thing to do is put the original tune back in before going to the dealer. Restoring a tune doesn't take long.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 PM
bigcountry343

can they tell if you have put a tuner on after you put the factory one back? I have heard they somehow know.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 AM
TheFist
Veteran

When I had a Ford Powerstroke this was a real big issue. Ford did everything they could to get out of paying for warranty work. Anyways, they can tell. The tuner leaves some kind of scarring on the rings or pistons thats exclusive to tuner use. I don't remember exactly what part of the motor gets scared but they can tell.

If you've got a warranty claim that the dealer or Dodge in general is seeing repeatedly and is usually on trucks that have been tuned, the techs will look for evidence of a tuner.

As far as Ford goes, I know from experience, looking for evidence of a tuner or ANY aftermarket mod was step 1 in the repair process. I don't know if Dodge or Chevy has had the problems with their diesels that Ford had with the 6.0 so they may not be as quick to look for aftermarket mods.

That said gas or diesel they know people like to put tuners in so it wouldn't surprise me if they look for them.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFist
When I had a Ford Powerstroke this was a real big issue. Ford did everything they could to get out of paying for warranty work. Anyways, they can tell. The tuner leaves some kind of scarring on the rings or pistons thats exclusive to tuner use. I don't remember exactly what part of the motor gets scared but they can tell.

If you've got a warranty claim that the dealer or Dodge in general is seeing repeatedly and is usually on trucks that have been tuned, the techs will look for evidence of a tuner.

As far as Ford goes, I know from experience, looking for evidence of a tuner or ANY aftermarket mod was step 1 in the repair process. I don't know if Dodge or Chevy has had the problems with their diesels that Ford had with the 6.0 so they may not be as quick to look for aftermarket mods.

That said gas or diesel they know people like to put tuners in so it wouldn't surprise me if they look for them.
Seeing "issues" that are indicative of a tuner is not sufficient to void a warranty. Seeing scarring of the rings and pistons is a sign of running with advanced timing, but would not PROVE a tuner.
The PROOF that a tuner was used, is that the PCM is time/date stamped with the last tune. If a "tune" is written the day before you bring it back to the dealer for warranty work, it's apparent that you have a tuner.
The specific problem with YOUR Ford 6.0, is that as a cost savings move, Ford went to half the number of head bolts. As combustion temperature and pressure increases due to ANY power enhancing modifications to boost and fuel delivery rates, gases force their way past the fire ring because of the lack of the clamping power from fewer bolts.
It's been proven time and again, that your previous 6.0 Ford Powerstroke cannot handle substantial power mods without significantly upgrading the durability of the engine...

Quick Reply: Do I need a tuner?