3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM
chill99
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide...

Just got an '07 a few months ago to replace my '99 (both shown below). I love the looks of my old truck (rugged) and am working towards making the new truck look similar.

Mods so far: BakFlip HD cover, PopLock for tailgate, tailgate water seal, new stereo system, tinted windows, rain guards, blue LEDs in front and back cup holders, rear wheel well inserts.

Mods to come soon: black tube style nerf bars, cat-back exhaust, black tail light guards similar to old truck, probably one of those big black Hemi decals that runs vertical down each side of the rear of the bed, black bed rail guards, and I'll probably replace the silver body mold strip with black molding (similar to the old truck).

But I can't decide on the wheels. Going with 17" rims. I'm torn between Moto Metal 951 chrome and the Dick Cepek DC-1 black. Tires will be BF Goodrich T/A KO's 285/70/17. I was dead set on the 951's, then I saw a truck the other day with the DC-1's. And now I'm 2nd guesing.

Let's hear your opinions. I gotta get over this hump and get something ordered - the stock wheels gotta go!

(BTW - the old truck is up for sale)

Attached Thumbnails Help me decide...-2007-dodge-ram-003.jpg  

Last edited by chill99; 04-11-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Personally, i own American Racing Fuels in black. Ive had em on my last 2 trucks and love the look. I dont see em around alot and i like that even more as they arent as common as a moto. Just my .02

Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Hemi636
Amateur

Given those two choices I would pick the Moto Metal 951's. You might want to check out the Pro Comp 6001 wheels before you buy, they're similar to the Moto Metals but come with a 3 year warranty on the chrome finish instead of the one year that comes with the Moto Metals.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Cepek Wheels are my personal favorite, I wish they were out when I bought mine, not that I'm displeased with my Mickey Thompson Classics, but those DC-1's just look great to me...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
raminator08
Record Breaker

nice list of mods. what have you done exactly to your stereo system? the black and silver theme will definitely look good. some black bed stripes will make a big difference
also, your old truck looks pretty clean and solid. how much do you think it will go for?

im surprised silver hasnt invited you to join the silver truck club lol

Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
chill99
Amateur

Originally Posted by Hemi636
Given those two choices I would pick the Moto Metal 951's. You might want to check out the Pro Comp 6001 wheels before you buy, they're similar to the Moto Metals but come with a 3 year warranty on the chrome finish instead of the one year that comes with the Moto Metals.
I will definitely consider those. They look just as nice.
Thanks for the pointer!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
chill99
Amateur

Originally Posted by raminator08
nice list of mods. what have you done exactly to your stereo system? the black and silver theme will definitely look good. some black bed stripes will make a big difference
also, your old truck looks pretty clean and solid. how much do you think it will go for?

im surprised silver hasnt invited you to join the silver truck club lol
Nothing overly special on the stereo, just had to get the stock stuff out of there. Kenwood deck (can't remember the model) which has a cabled usb port and iPod controls. Cable is routed to the little shelf lower on the dash, so I can plug in my iPod or even just a thumb drive with MP3s on it. Works very nice. Put in Memphis component speakers in front with the tweeters up in the dash. Then put Memphis 5.25" coax in the rear. I'm not a big fan of Memphis, but this was good route until I want to spring for an amp and go with better quality speakers. The storage area under the back seat has also been prewired for a future amp and sub.

As for the old truck, I have it listed at $8900 and looking for offers. It has a long list of aftermarket options which can be seen at www.picturetrail.com/chill99 It's a great truck and if I had the driveway space, I'd keep it.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
chill99
Amateur
Default Any more opinions?

How 'bout it? I know there's more opinions out there.

Given what I plan to do, which wheels are most appropriate - Moto Metal 951 chrome or DC-1 black? And please tell me why you think what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM
mopar6spd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outta level her up a bit, add those BFG's (I love 'em)... Good idea with the wheel well inserts, i think they make a truck look real nice. In my opinion, i actually like the stock wheels I'm not a big aftermarket wheel person. But Black wheels do look very nice on silver trucks.

Also, I really like cablights and tow-mirros. I think they make a truck look so much meaner... But not many guys with the 1500's do that.. I think they look awesome either way.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

level it and go from there

Quick Reply: Help me decide...