3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff damage !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby
I unfortunately had the dubius pleasure of opening my pumpkin, to find all of this.
Once seen.........NEVER forgotten.
I have also since having the truck, regulary maintained the diff's using the 15000 mile service interval suggested in the manual, as I do not tow or "get on it" in any great way at all.
So I for one am EXTREMELY dissapointed with the stock Dodge LSD.
My own gear man also stated just what a poor design the stock LSD is as well.
Just my input and personal experience of this problem.
Take from it what you will. It's as I stated earlier, it's not if the diff will let go.........rather when.
Al.
You are but one of thousands, Al. I feel for you. I was lucky in that after searching high and low for a new truck in '04, I found one with everything I wanted (Laramie, manual stick 4x4, tow mirrors, 3.92s, etc.) except skids, tow hooks and an LSD. How a company could build a 4x4 w/o LSD is still a mystery to me. But after negotiating they put on the skids and hooks, I knew I would want an aftermarket LSD anyway.
I had no clue of the problem with the factory one at the time. So, like I say, I was just lucky, I guess...

Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Hammer.
You certainly were lucky, my friend.
Have a look at another thread currently running on here, by a fellow member called Weedahoe, entitled "Changing my diff fluid today? To pull or not to pull retaining clips out??? "
His comments certainly bear out my own.
Al.

Quick Reply: Diff damage !!