3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff damage !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
metamorphosis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff damage !!

Just pulled the rear diff cover off, to change the oil .. Unfortunately I've found some bits that I think are ment to be attached to something !!!

The 4 planetary gears around the shafts, have what I can only presume is this "C" clip behind the half shaft gear. Right shaft at about, 1 o'clock. Left shaft at about 10 O'clock. - A little M shaped clip.
Well they are both there and look fine, but I,ve found another in the oil at the bottom, and two other bits of metal that look like a dime that has been cut in half. and bent a bit. Oil is also contaminated with fileings.

Is there 4 clips or could the inside part come off and I cant see it?
On inspection it all looks ok. thou these bits are worrying me...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Those are the clips that hold the lsd together during assembly. They are known for breaking and they usually cause damage when they do. Pull the rest out with needle nose pliers. You may have to twist them a bit to get them to break apart before they come out. I had this happen on my 04 but I caught it before they did any damage and I put many more miles on that diff, including towing, without a problem.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
metamorphosis

OK. Wot just pull them out as is, or strip it down and remove.?
Then leave them out all together or fit new ones.?

Ive just realised there are 4, as ive jacked up and rotated the diff. One is broke and ive removed the other half. It now looks loose as there is a gap. IS that ok.?

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by metamorphosis; 04-14-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I took mine into the shop last week for this same issue. All they did was flush the rear and seal it back up. I had two clips completely gone, one was wedged between the bearing cap and the other was broken off with only the "m" or "w" showing. Ive gotta get my complaint letter out to Chrystler and find another dealer I think. I really WAS NOT happy about then wanting to just flush it out and deal it back up. Luckly I still have a good bit of the original oil as a sample.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 AM
metamorphosis

Yeh, thats exactly how mine is. One gone completely and broken bits in the bottom, and the other, one side broken off and the remainder had slipped out and was rubbing on the bearing clamp. Made a good groove in it. !!

Ive cleaned it all out and it looks fine tho im not sure wether to close it up and refill or get the new clips. ??

Two things.. Im in UK and there arnt the dealerships and they look a bit of a job to refit.

Does anyone know if this is really ok to just put back together again, without the clips.. ??

Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You NEED to get all the rest of those junk clips, out of the LSD. It will run fine without them. Mine did over 20K miles without issue whilst I saved for my Detoit TruTrac replacement LSD.
Did you have sparklies in the diff oil??? Metal debris/shavings from the damaged carrier?
If so, ALL your bearings and seals will be toast over time.
If this has happened, you really need to tear into your axle and get it completely stripped down.
If these sparklies are there, you need a professional assessment of the carrier, as to if putting another LSD is an option. Sometimes these axles are so worn by these clips, an entire axle is the only option. Very expensive without a warranty like us here in the UK. I was very lucky in catching my problem relatively early. I did however, have the metal swarf sparklies in my diff oil, but the damage to the carrier was minimal.
I'm sorry to be a bearer of these bad tidings but, these LSD equipped diffs really are stinkers and pieces of S**T!
I have a great gear guy over here who can replace the LSD for you if needs be.
He did mine and has done several other Dodge LSD's over here in the UK, so his experience is better than most over here.
I've enclosed some pics for you to look at with pics of part of the superior install kit, which comes complete with all the necessary bearings and seals to replace stuff in our axles.
Do a search on here for C clip problems or retaining clip probs and you will find LOTS about this very bad problem Dodge have lumbered us with!
If you need any further help, please PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.
Hope this all helps?
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 04-15-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby
You NEED to get all the rest of those junk clips, out of the LSD. It will run fine without them. Mine did over 20K miles without issue whilst I saved for my Detoit TruTrac replacement LSD.
Did you have sparklies in the diff oil??? Metal debris/shavings from the damaged carrier?
If so, ALL your bearings and seals will be toast over time.
If this has happened, you really need to tear into your axle and get it completely stripped down.
If these sparklies are there, you need a professional assessment of the carrier, as to if putting another LSD is an option.

Just because there are "sparklies" in the differential oil does not mean your diff is bad. The differential goes through a lot during break-in and more times than not, there are lots of shavings floating around in the oil because of the initial break in. Just think of how many bearings are in there... Also, there's a lot of contact with the pinion and ring gear. Both wearable items that must break-in. Part of that process leaves fine metal shavings floating in your diff. This is why it's important to change the rear diff at 5kmi as reccomended especially if towing is involved.
Metal gunk is common since there are no filters to filter anything. That's why mainenance for the diffs is crucial and leads me to believe that the c-clips are cause by pressure from heavy towing and/or heat from lack of lubrication to keep them cool due to old oil. Broken down oil doesn't keep parts cool like newer oil.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Just because there are "sparklies" in the differential oil does not mean your diff is bad. The differential goes through a lot during break-in and more times than not, there are lots of shavings floating around in the oil because of the initial break in. Just think of how many bearings are in there... Also, there's a lot of contact with the pinion and ring gear. Both wearable items that must break-in. Part of that process leaves fine metal shavings floating in your diff. This is why it's important to change the rear diff at 5kmi as reccomended especially if towing is involved.
Metal gunk is common since there are no filters to filter anything. That's why mainenance for the diffs is crucial and leads me to believe that the c-clips are cause by pressure from heavy towing and/or heat from lack of lubrication to keep them cool due to old oil. Broken down oil doesn't keep parts cool like newer oil.

This is what makes it imperative that you break in a new set of gears properly and have that initial break-in oil changed at 500 miles...

Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM
metamorphosis

Thanks guys,
My truck has only done 21000 miles. Thats why im a bit shocked. The previous owner didnt drive it hard either. Just a bad one, I guess.
Im gonna put it back together now and get a Trutrac in a couple of weeks.
Thanks all.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "sparklies" I'm talking about, NO diff would live with for more than a few thousand miles!
I'm not talking of the very fine crud, collected at the bottom of the pumpkin on the magnet either during the break in period or the routine maintenance.
I'm talking like the oil is FULL of much larger stuff and a LOT more of it!!!.
The oil is almost silver in colour with it.
When you think that every revolution of the LSD at the stated gear ratio of 3:55, 3:92 or even 4:56 to every revolution of the drive shaft, causes these sharp clips to cut their way into the carrier like a piece of metal being cut on a lathe.........well, you get the idea, as that is exactly what happens.
I unfortunately had the dubius pleasure of opening my pumpkin, to find all of this.
Once seen.........NEVER forgotten.
I have also since having the truck, regulary maintained the diff's using the 15000 mile service interval suggested in the manual, as I do not tow or "get on it" in any great way at all.
So I for one am EXTREMELY dissapointed with the stock Dodge LSD.
My own gear man also stated just what a poor design the stock LSD is as well.
Just my input and personal experience of this problem.
Take from it what you will. It's as I stated earlier, it's not if the diff will let go.........rather when.
Al.

Quick Reply: Diff damage !!