3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 2500 "Lamp Out" warning light & chime

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
snwchris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 2500 "Lamp Out" warning light & chime

This past weekend while towing the Jeep back from 4wheeling, I kept getting a “Lamp Out” light on the gauge cluster along with a chime that sounded a lot like the door/light chime if you leave the keys in or lights on.

The worst part about this is that it kept doing this “Lamp Out” light & chime about every couple minutes for about 5hrs….. ugggghhhh

According to the manual the “Lamp Out” warning light refers to possible issue to Headlights, Tails Light, Turn Signal, any of the bulbs or possible electrical circuit.

Now the only time this does this is when the truck is moving so it seems to be either a wire bouncing or touching causing this or a bulb wiggling in the socket. When we stopped a couple times for gas I tried checking things and all the lights work fine.

1. Is there a way to turn off the dam chime noise… lol

2. How do I go about trying to figure out what the issue could be, remove headlamps & tail lamps and then wiggle wiring while truck running to see if it signals the lamp out light & chime.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM
AK Rover
Rookie

I realize that a lamp out warning isn't a huge important thing but I make it a rule not to try and bypass any kind of warning light, no matter how pointless. The warning was put in to A) keep your truck legal and B) keep you from damaging the wiring. The only proper way to turn off the warning and chime is to track down the problem.

Have you had this problem when you weren't towing? Are you towing the Jeep on a trailer or flat towing? Is the lamp out light staying on and you only get the chime every 5 minutes or is it going on and off with the chime? If you only have the problem when towing I would say your problem is in the trailer circuit. Check out all the lights on your trailer.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like trailer wiring issues.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
snwchris

Nope it starting doing it before towing the Jeep.

Yes the light & chime go on & off. it will sometimes stay off for a little but then chimes and comes back on. At one of the gas stop i tried wiggling the trailer harness, the wiring on the trailer lights and still no chime & light.

I also tried checking the fuse block under the hood and nothing looked out of ordinary or like any fuses were blown. When I walked around the truck all the lights worked fine.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue...still dont know why, but i plan on changing out all the bulbs as was suggested in another thread on the topic... Is it worse when its cold?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM
bltp203
Rookie

The strip that your rear taillight bulbs plug into may beginning to have some corrosion. I would start there.

Quick Reply: 03 2500 "Lamp Out" warning light & chime