3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

should i get my tuner installed ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Riccs22
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get my tuner installed ???

so i was was at my bruces speed shop where i buy all my stuff and the guy recommended me getting a tuner for my truck i think the brand is diablo i think i forget and lost the paper he gave me any way the price was like 350 and 396 installed. the guy told me that sometimes the trucks need upgrades from the computer in order to accept the tuner or something. I have an 05 hemi 1500 do you think i should just have the guy install it ?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

NO WAY!

Installing a tuner is so easy a caveman can do it! He should have offered to install it for free. It's like someone charging you to use your remote to unlock your doors...

By the way, the diablo is an excellent tuner and the only one I will run.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riccs22
so i was was at my bruces speed shop where i buy all my stuff and the guy recommended me getting a tuner for my truck i think the brand is diablo i think i forget and lost the paper he gave me any way the price was like 350 and 396 installed. the guy told me that sometimes the trucks need upgrades from the computer in order to accept the tuner or something. I have an 05 hemi 1500 do you think i should just have the guy install it ?
Don't do it man. Installing a tuner is easy, even if it does need to be updated first, you should be able to handle it no problem.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Riccs22
Go to diablosport.com....they have all the info you'll need with links to the software and crom/cal updates which are free. Also you can find a better price for the tuner online...I got mine shipped with the usb cable/ac adapter for $320 but that was back in december.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 AM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

I will charge you $40 to install it!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 AM
kicker417
Veteran

i will charge you $15 dollars and 1 year warranty ; )

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You will need the PC interface update kit. It's a power cord and a USB adapter. I had trouble with the software updating because I have Vista 64bit and had to find and download the right driver. Me doing that is like a kid being an astronaut...lol But i did it never the less. Once i got the driver downloaded, total time to update the tuner was like 15 minutes. Then, It took about 20 minutes to load into my truck. It kept on going through all these cycles of programming. It was a Pain.
Now, I bought mine back before Christmas. i paid $325 plus another $35??? for the Interface kit. Total was $360. They are selling now for $369 at most places without the interface kit. Basically you would be paying this guy to update the software and loa it into your truck for the cost of a upsate kit you will never use again. If you have no idea what to do, why not have him do it so he can show you how it's done. I don't understand why he would charge so much??? But it is time consuming.
I feel that Diablosport should have sent out rebate forms for interface update kits. When I bought my SCT tuner for my Mustang, it cam with everything and was already updated out of the box.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Its so easy, even a caveman could do it. lol

Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
JFamous05

what do you gain by installing a diablo tuner? I have no experience with it, but everyone on hear seems to rave about them.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JFamous05
what do you gain by installing a diablo tuner? I have no experience with it, but everyone on hear seems to rave about them.

Shift points, I think the updates for Diablo changes firmness as well, advance timing, fuel trim options...etc... Roughly 10-20hp and 10-20ft/lbs depending on mods. Figure 10 on a bone stock truck. I'm gonna stick my neck out there and say that's true hp numbers at the wheels. You can delete MDS if you have a 06+ 1500 with the hemi.

My truck ran and shifted like crap when it was stock with the mds. I deleted MDS and installed a 91octane tune. Truck runs much smoother and shifts cleaner and faster.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: should i get my tuner installed ???