3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

compression test on 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes sir, it would shake only when first starting. it was weird. went to the airport to pick up the girlfriend, everything was fine. came out of the airport to leave about an hour later, and as soon as it started it was shaking. i mean the truck felt like it was gonna die into a low idle and stall or something. then at freeway speeds, oh boy. it would start shaking again. i drove it for 2 days only when neccessary until i could get it into the dealer. im not saying its the same issue, but it could be. they said when they pulled the spark plugs they were shattered, so they pulled the heads and found out what was wrong.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 AM
chopper29

ya see mine only shakes and makes noise for 10 min. once truck warms up it runs great. jus changed plugs and they all looked fine also. so im puzzled.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:03 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a stuck lifter or valve.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:09 AM
chopper29

well i realized last nite that i apparently had walmart put 10w 30 in the last oil change. some high mileage crap. not sure y but apparently did. so i put 5 20 back n and since last night hasnt shook or made noise and light off now. not sure what up but im sure i didnt fix the problem. would b sweet if i did though

Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Rob3069usmc

Hey chopper i have the same problem u do, I have been trying to figure it out for about a year now. At first it would only do it in the winter, but now its doing it every cold start. If you figure it out PLEASE let me know! I have changed plugs, the injecter and the coil pack. I put marvels mystery oil in last oil change and that was no help. Its an ongoing battel for me with this truck. I have about 111K on my truck and its been doing this sence about 90K. I bought the truck used with about 88K on it. So if the octang thing was a factor before i got the truck i don't know but i only use med or high grade. Still need to do a compresson test tho.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As thier are two spark plugs per cy, which plug hole do you use, and do you leave one plug in to hold the compression (air) from escaping?

Old school thinking ( high school auto ) was that compression numbers per cy is not what you go buy but the differance in percentages across all 8 cylinders, no more than 10 to 15%.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
As thier are two spark plugs per cy, which plug hole do you use
Either one, they both over over the same cylinder

and do you leave one plug in to hold the compression (air) from escaping?
How else would you keep the air in there if you take both out and only use one to screw in the gauge? You could try to use your finger...

Old school thinking ( high school auto ) was that compression numbers per cy is not what you go buy but the differance in percentages across all 8 cylinders, no more than 10 to 15%.
All depends on your numbers as you might find one much lower than the rest due to scored sleeve, bad/broken rings, head gasket issues, valve issues, ect.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by chopper29
well i realized last nite that i apparently had walmart put 10w 30 in the last oil change. some high mileage crap. not sure y but apparently did. so i put 5 20 back n and since last night hasnt shook or made noise and light off now. not sure what up but im sure i didnt fix the problem. would b sweet if i did though
Has your truck got tthe MDS system?
I do know that the incorrect weight of oil, affects these types of engines.
Gotta be 5w 20 with those babys, for sure.
Al.

Quick Reply: compression test on 5.7 hemi