3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need you input.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GUYS! C'Mon! Before you get rid of the tires, and spend hundreds to get new tires and have them mounted, try soundproofing the truck. $140 can put 100sqft of FatMat (a generic dynamat) in your truck, and REALLY cut down on external noises inside. Lay it EVERYWHERE, and 2-3 layers in the doors. Under the carpet, back wall, anywhere you can get it. I promise, it will be worth your while.

In addition to the reduced road/engine noise (this includes a lot of the exhaust drone that many complain of) it will also make whatever sound system you have in the truck sound better.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
jk360
Veteran

first off, 4x4hemifreak.... sweet truck, but now im pissed... lol... we pretty much have same truck(color) and i didnt think my truck would look good with black rims(which ive had on every truck/jeep ive owned) so i went with chrome/polished.. now i see yours and i even showed my wife and im pissed i didnt go black. but she also pointed out that i have stainless nerf bars and it wouldnt look right.

but anyway... ill try to clarify some things.. i dont mind tire hum/noise, but as long as its not as loud as my current tires. i mean they are ridiculously-annoying loud! ive had loud tires before but these take the cake. i seriously wanted to drive off a bridge driving with these things on saturday.. it was like a slow painful torture test! i couldnt hear my exhaust even if i got on it.. my wife got a headache, as did i... i had to crank my system which is loud as is... these tires just suck!

i like the all the tires i listed, but as most say the nittos are loud, which means they are prob louder than im looking for... so theyre out..

hammer, dont get me wrong i like your tires, but i want a little meater/agressive.. plus i dont like raised white letters, but that has nothing to do with it.. and i know that m/t tires and nosie go hand in hand, but they're all different in levels of noise. i had a set of bfg m/t's on an old jeep i had and they werent loud at all.. nice tire, just to me they didnt perform well and were pricey... which brings me to toyo's... of all the research i did, ive come up with these conclusions... they are expenive, a harder tire which is good for tread wear, quieter than most m/t's, but not that good in mud.. then the coopers are softer and wear much faster, similiar looking as the toyos, a lot lighter and a lot less money.. then theres the pro-comps and the mickey's... which i dont know too much about. except that if pro-comp has the 4 for 3 deal its unbeatable and that i believe mickey thompsons are made by cooper(correct me if im wrong).

to put it simply, i dont want to spend $1000 - $1400 on tires that im gonna hate in a week. when i looked at rims and tires, i liked the xterrain cause they just looked like an angry tire. i was gonna buy em brand new but got lucky and found a used set for $100. i figured let me get em, try em out, and if i dont like them i didnt blow 1200 and not wanna drive my truck. this time around im not gonna have that option so i wanna make sure im making the right decision. ya know?

and mfs212, dynomat is not an option.. i like to hear outside noise, lets me get a feel for how my truck is running/driving.. and also im not taking my whole interior apart just so i dont hear anything outside the cab... too much work.

Last edited by jk360; 04-15-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 PM
4x4HemiFreak
Rookie

ill try to get a video of the road noise in the cab tomorrow of my truck if you want to hear how loud the xtreme mud terrains are..

Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 AM
jk360
Veteran

Originally Posted by 4x4HemiFreak
ill try to get a video of the road noise in the cab tomorrow of my truck if you want to hear how loud the xtreme mud terrains are..
sweet... yeah like i said, i can deal with loud tires, but just as long as they are not nearly as loud as the xterrains..i cant see them being as loud, but who knows. the video/sound clip would be very helpfull.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You would be correct, Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek were purchased by Cooper Tire in 1999.
Be careful with the Pro Comps, 4 Wheel Parts owns them and is looking to unload them. According to a good friend of mine who owns a small tire/auto repair chain in Ga., quality has been real spotty. His distributor tells him that they are being made in China, on a low bid per order basis. So basically, this months Pro Comp M/T's may produced by a completely different company than next months. Just a FYI...

Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you just want new tires...lol

It really isn't that much work. It can be done in a few hours, especially if you have help. The seats come out with only 8 Bolts for the front and 8 for the back. The carpet comes up easily, and the door panels come on and off quickly.

I suggest everyone take an afternoon and do it. And as far as wanting to hear the engine, I can still hear my hemi ROAR just fine, and I am comfortable enough with the volume of the truck that if I turn the radio off, I can listen clearly to the engine. I run Nitto Terra Grappler 33s (an i know these are not noisy tires) and they don't create that drone in my truck, which is generated, mostly, by the vibrations created by the tread of the tire resonating in the sheet metal of the truck, which amplifies it (same with exhaust "drone"). Our doors are ESPECIALLY bad, and dampening the vibrations in them can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the "noise" while allowing you to continue to hear the things you WANT to hear, like the "tone" of your exhaust/engine, and richer, deeper highs and lows from your audio.

Bottom line, I did it, and I am incredibly impressed with the results. I bought a truck, not a Mercedes. I want to hear my engine too, and my headers, and my FM50s, and my CAI, etc. To be quite honest, I am disappointed in the car manufacturers for not doing this more thoroughly. If it cost me $1.40/sqft for 100sqft, how much would if cost dodge for a hundred bazillion square feet. Like $.14/vehicle...Anywho, I am off my soap box and apologize for hijacking the thread. Best of luck finding the tires that fit your needs, and I cant wait to see pics!

Last edited by mfs212; 04-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
jk360
Veteran

ok after further research and debate(mostly debating myself) ive come down to three choices.... either toyo open country m/t's, pro comp xtreme mud, or bfg km2 mt's(yeah i know they werent an original choice but their reviews are decent and they are kinda cheap). im leaning more towards the toyo's, but im stuck on a few things. if i went with the bfg's are both sidewalls raised white or just one side? i dont like white letters so if not they are out. i had bfg muds on my old jeep and i know they had blackwall but i dont remember if one side was white or not.. if both sides are white then its between toyos and pro comps. the cheapest i found toyos are around 1300 shipped and the pro comps are 1000 shipped... i can use that extra 300 towards other things like shocks or a pushbar... i know the toyo is a better tire but like i said, its not my daily driver, its a night/weekend warrior... i mean if someone knows a place to find the toyos cheaper by all means please let me know.. thanks

Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 AM
kicker417
Veteran

just wonderin have you look at the Iroks from super swampers

Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 AM
kicker417
Veteran

ntwonline.com

Quick Reply: Need you input.....