3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

riderite airbag helpers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
nathanp
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riderite airbag helpers

Anyone have these on their truck??? Anybody heard anything about them. I want to get the single guage compressor as well. Just curious as to if you dont have a tank does the compressor run most of the time?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

When I got mine, I went to have a buddy of mine who owns two tire/repair shops get them for me. Rural Ga, lot of tow vehicles, so he's purchased and installed many sets of them.
I wanted the Firestones, really because they are the only ones I ever heard of. He advised me against it, saying that most of the ones he'd installed, he saw back in a year or two with bag failures, dry rotting of the rubber in the bags.
He had since switched to the Air Lifts, so ordered me a set of those, which I installed myself.
Personally, I don't know of anybody who has had the Firestones fail on them, but figured I'd mention it to you. The Air Lifts have a plethora of options, so getting a manual on-board air system or even a fully automated system will not be an issue for you...

Old 04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
pcollins
Veteran

My dad has the RideRites on his GMC Sierra. He loves and swears by them. Mainly used for when he tows his 17ft car trailer hauling his Mopars around to car shows. Hasn't had any problems with them in the 4+ years he's had them on. He also installed them himself. Said it was a pain in the @$$ but saved on labor.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
When I got mine, I went to have a buddy of mine who owns two tire/repair shops get them for me. Rural Ga, lot of tow vehicles, so he's purchased and installed many sets of them.
I wanted the Firestones, really because they are the only ones I ever heard of. He advised me against it, saying that most of the ones he'd installed, he saw back in a year or two with bag failures, dry rotting of the rubber in the bags.
He had since switched to the Air Lifts, so ordered me a set of those, which I installed myself.
Personally, I don't know of anybody who has had the Firestones fail on them, but figured I'd mention it to you. The Air Lifts have a plethora of options, so getting a manual on-board air system or even a fully automated system will not be an issue for you...
hammer, at this point you must just cut n paste that response. Reading it is like hearing a broken record cause it comes up so many times lol. i also thought the air lift ones were either the same price or a bit cheaper, dont hold me to that though. I want em so bad its not even funny.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
hammer, at this point you must just cut n paste that response. Reading it is like hearing a broken record cause it comes up so many times lol. i also thought the air lift ones were either the same price or a bit cheaper, dont hold me to that though. I want em so bad its not even funny.
Yeah, I know. I can't emphasize enough how great air bags are. I never had them before, but will NEVER own a truck without them, whether it be 1/2 or 3/4 ton.
Like I said, I know people with the Firestone's who have never had a problem, but feel I need to say something because of what I was told by someone who installs them on a fairly regular basis. They are widely used in rural farm areas as everybody hauls and tows there, usually well above vehicle specs.

In looking at them both, I have to also say, I like the installation of the Air Ride's better. Both from a function and an ease of installation stand point.

But I don't think you could go wrong with either brand...

Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Arnott Ride system. They are Goodyear bags. Nice quality. $225 shipped. 1 hour install, no drilling. Easily removed. 5,000lb rated so they will handle as much as the truck can with no issues.

I wanted an air compressor, but i found a happy medium where I keep them all the time. I have a single fill that i mounted on my hitch. Ran the tubing through the frame.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ride rite and the reason i chose them over airlift is becuase for the 1500 the ride rites use the heavy duty bags and the airlift uses a tapered style more of a better ride kind of airbag. I havent had any issues with mine at all. oh also the airlift brand requires drilling holes through the frame or welding while the ride rite is just a bolt on. I to a 25ft toy hauler that used to sag the stock suspension all the way to the bump stops but now it rides level with 65psi. It uo to you which brand but airbags overall are the way to go.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Firestone bags are crap. Every Lincoln that you see sitting on the ground? 99% are due to leaky bags, not bad pumps or valves. I have converted many over to coil spring for this reason!!

I hauled a 95 S10 4x4 blazer on my trailer today without my load distribution hitch ( I'll never do that again!!!) and the springs on my 08 are weak. The shocks are way to soft too.
I will be looking into air bags when the funds are available!!

Quick Reply: riderite airbag helpers