3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad that you got at least one Sham WOW reference in the video .

Old 04-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a detailing aficianado and spend a fair amount of time on the Autopia detailing forums. I learned a clay bar tip from one of the detailing professionals:
Instead of washing your vehicle as a step and then claying as a separate step, you can combine the two. Forget about buying a special clay lube. Wash your truck in sections, and while the paint is wet with your wash solution, rub the clay over it. Then rinse like usual. However, if your paint is really bad it's probably best to clay as a separate step with a good clay lube.

Another tip: wash with a bug sponge for areas with hard to remove stuff like bugs, tar, etc. It removes a lot of gunk that normally would require clay. I use the bug sponge every time I wash. I only use clay before I am going to wax or polish, which is 2-3 times a year.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I started washng the truck about 9:30 in the morning and finished clay barring about 2 pm. My wife was pissed.
^^^thats another reason why, it already takes me that long to wash and clean my truck, this is without paste wax. My wife freakin hates it.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I think we are all guilty of this. My wife knows now, when I say Im washing the truck, that means: go ahead and go to the mall, have lunch with sally, go to your mom's, run to the grocery store, stop and get gas on the way home, then start cooking dinner... maybe I will be done.

Hey, we dont spend good money every month on these gorgeous machines, just to let them get dirty and abused. We work hard for our nice things, and if I want to spend time and money making it and keeping it nice, I WILL WOMAN!!!!

sssshhhhh... shes coming....

Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
I think we are all guilty of this. My wife knows now, when I say Im washing the truck, that means: go ahead and go to the mall, have lunch with sally, go to your mom's, run to the grocery store, stop and get gas on the way home, then start cooking dinner... maybe I will be done.

Hey, we dont spend good money every month on these gorgeous machines, just to let them get dirty and abused. We work hard for our nice things, and if I want to spend time and money making it and keeping it nice, I WILL WOMAN!!!!

sssshhhhh... shes coming....

lmao. Well said.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
I am a detailing aficianado and spend a fair amount of time on the Autopia detailing forums. I learned a clay bar tip from one of the detailing professionals:
Instead of washing your vehicle as a step and then claying as a separate step, you can combine the two. Forget about buying a special clay lube. Wash your truck in sections, and while the paint is wet with your wash solution, rub the clay over it. Then rinse like usual. However, if your paint is really bad it's probably best to clay as a separate step with a good clay lube.

Another tip: wash with a bug sponge for areas with hard to remove stuff like bugs, tar, etc. It removes a lot of gunk that normally would require clay. I use the bug sponge every time I wash. I only use clay before I am going to wax or polish, which is 2-3 times a year.
That's a great idea.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RubberFrog you have by far the best videos on any forum i've been on. I loved the ShamWOW reference and the "dirty little secret... like your neighbors wife" hahahahaha. Keep em comin buddy. Nice touch at the end there with your son too

Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Thanks man. I enjoy making them, and I really hope that people can see beyond all the silliness and get something out of the videos.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Does clay bar remove water spots from paint? Any opinion on brand of bar? I thought about picking up the meguires since I love the quik detailer.

And another great vid as always.

Last edited by red06RAM; 04-21-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

As long as the water spot hasn't etched into the clear coat. If it's just the minerals on top, it will take them right off. If they're etched in, you're going to need something a little more abrasive.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar