3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would towing a trailer with a new exhaust be a problem?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by TheFist
Why would towing a trailer with a new exhaust be a problem?
Because you can't play with the truck when you have a 18ft. long trailer behind you lol.

Anyways, I had the exhaust system put in this morning. He put in the magnaflow y-pipe, then ran the rest of the system; 3"in./2.5" dual out flowmaster super 44 muffler, and then ran one pipe behind each rear tire with 4"x18" exhaust tips. Cost me just $239, so that made me very happy. As for the exhaust, it sounds really nice. Very deep, controlled, and mean, sounds like a mustang. However, it's nowhere near as loud as my 360 was with this same set-up, so I was a little surprised that it didn't bark like the magnum did. But it's ok, whatever the hemi lacks in a few decibels to the magnum, it makes up for it in speed.

Here's a crappy cellphone video of my truck doing a fly-by with the new Super 44 system, I'll have more videos up soon with a real camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4qfCOU6xZ4

Old 05-15-2009, 12:20 PM
MontanaRAM
Captain

that sounded decent.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Gee, thanks. Glad it sounded "decent".

Old 05-15-2009, 06:53 PM
MontanaRAM
Captain

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Gee, thanks. Glad it sounded "decent".

haha, not trying to sound like a dick. it does sound really good, perhaps excellent

Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I hear a hemi tick as you went by . J/K man, I thought it sounded really good. Hope you are happy with your choice in exhaust, I know you put a lot of thought into it.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

wow what a thread joe you sease to amaze me with your indesicivness if thats a word, but im glad you got it done and it sounds great i went with a 40series and i like it but wish there was a lil more but it is what it is get me a pic of the tips i wanna see how they put em up did they run your pipes over the axle behind the pumpkin or in front ive seen alot that cover the pumpkin from behind it to me it looks like crap....do you get a lil fart like sound between gears when cold? i do tween 2 and 3 i think when i leave work in after noon itlll do it.....odd.....good luck with it....and i wanna see how fatr 4" are

Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by jusjay727
wow what a thread joe you sease to amaze me with your indesicivness if thats a word, but im glad you got it done and it sounds great i went with a 40series and i like it but wish there was a lil more but it is what it is get me a pic of the tips i wanna see how they put em up did they run your pipes over the axle behind the pumpkin or in front ive seen alot that cover the pumpkin from behind it to me it looks like crap....do you get a lil fart like sound between gears when cold? i do tween 2 and 3 i think when i leave work in after noon itlll do it.....odd.....good luck with it....and i wanna see how fatr 4" are
Thanks for the compliments guys. I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the pumpkin though? As for the tips, I had him put them on their side so they are flush with the body of the truck, I've always really liked that look a lot. I really do like the system, it's nice to have that flowmaster sound with my hemi truck now. As I said though, I am quite surprised how much quieter it is than my 2nd generation ram was with the equivalent system, this one is much deeper and bassier. My other truck had a very loud start up and idle, and was extremely crackly when driving, and reflected off of everybody's vehicle. The hemi doesn't really start up nor idle too loud, but when driving around is when it gets to be very loud. In regards to the farting sound, it doesn't. It's very smooth and consistent, sounds somewhat like a magnaflow IMO. As expected, the drone is intense, but I'm personally a big fan of the interior resonance. Best part about it at all, the system only cost me $239 to put in, I was very happy about that. I hope to get my hands on a digital camera to take some shots of the exhaust tips and the system itself, along with some revving and launch videos for you all.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

pumpkin is the round thing in the center where your gears are....mines setup is similar 45* angles out the back right behind tires best looks imo.....

Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I see, as in the differential. He did run the piping right over the rear axle and around the spare tire. One can see both exhaust tips from the rear, and still clearly see the rear differential. Is that what you mean?

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Questions