3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to build it...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:40 AM
elks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to build it...

Ok so I have jeeps and have made some pretty major improvements to them. Now I have this new to stock 1500 mega cab with a 5.7l. I am very happy with the truck, but I need to build it some to make it mine... truck will be used for occasional hunting trip (only if my jeeps are broken or I have more passengers than space). It is used mainly as a light duty tow rig, a 19' camper, and to flat tow a jeep, maybe on a jeep on a car hauler some day. It will be used off road (2 tracks, dirt, mud, twist, Lots of snow, etc)

So first thing is a lift, I am thinkg a 4" suspension. But what brand and how hard to install? What tires size can get with a 4" lift? I want a good performing lift for the truck, it is not being lifted for looks, but for offroad performance.

Second engine perfoirmance: What chip can I get to improve power and MPG? Right now I am getting 17 mpg high way and like 14 in town (I livei n a very small town, no traffic and only a handful of lights). High ways are 2 lane and max speed is 65. Is the price of a KN/cold air intake worth it? What can I expect there?

What about exhaust? I am thinking I need Dual exhaust all the way out, just because I have never had it before, and its cool.

Are there any other good up grades I can do? When making suggestion keep in mind I am a school teacher so I like a lot of bang for my buck.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Alpheus
Banned

Start by using the SEARCH function. Every question you just asked has been answered...

Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by Alpheus
Every question you just asked has been answered...
At least a thousand times.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-faqs-133/

Check out this section, it has the answers to everything you just asked.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 PM
elks
Rookie

Tpical reply. If I wanted to take the time to sit and read post after post, 90% of which have nothing to with the actual question, then I would not have joined and searched the internet. Ques I will just go read several post to find one that actually pertains to my needs.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elks
So first thing is a lift, I am thinkg a 4" suspension. But what brand and how hard to install? What tires size can get with a 4" lift? I want a good performing lift for the truck, it is not being lifted for looks, but for offroad performance.
I think you are on the right road with the lifts as a 6 inch has proven to be too much stress on CV joints. Lots of people make them, I know hammer loves his rancho lift.

Second engine perfoirmance: What chip can I get to improve power and MPG? Right now I am getting 17 mpg high way and like 14 in town (I livei n a very small town, no traffic and only a handful of lights). High ways are 2 lane and max speed is 65. Is the price of a KN/cold air intake worth it? What can I expect there?
There are 2 big tuners available. The Superchips and Diablo. Both have positives and negatives. This one you will have to search for yourself all deals with personal preference.

What about exhaust? I am thinking I need Dual exhaust all the way out, just because I have never had it before, and its cool.
A good cat back setup is the magnaflow. Great mufflers. You should also look into replacing the very restrictive Y pipe on our trucks. You can search on summit for this part its a 2.5 in 3 inch out. E Cut outs are very popular. And of course Headers are always a good item for torque

Are there any other good up grades I can do? When making suggestion keep in mind I am a school teacher so I like a lot of bang for my buck.
A E-Fan is a good thing/easy thing good for a solid 10rwhp for under a 100 dollars.

If you are going to get a tuner, and exhaust. You are going to need to get a CAI, if you have enhanced outward flow, you need enhanced inward flow.

To enhance your inward you can get a Fastman Ported throttle body runs about 180 once you get your core deposit returned.

Gears are always a good investment. I would say 4.56 gears, especially if you are upsizing your tires.

When doing gears upgrade your factory LSD.

Hmmm.....Any other questions? Or guys anything I missed?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Easy there Elks. No need to get mad. We have just answered these 200 times a day sometimes. Thats why we setup the FAQ page. Welcome to the DF by the way.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
elks
Rookie

oefootball, Thanks for the reply. I appriciate the time you took. I knew it was a long post, but was expecting a few quick answers. You did well to sum it up.

Dodge it, I was not really mad, but I can see how it came across. I was more less just out of time and last night at 1:00 I was done reading for hte night and figured a post.

Quick Reply: How to build it...