3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hidden winch mount DIY...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hidden winch mount DIY...

Here's the slop:

After I made my own winch mount for my 2004 1500, I was asked by a few people how it was done, so I decided to do a little write up; after the fact. Keep in mind, When I built the mount, I didn’t build it for beauty, I built it for purpose. So I wasn’t worried too much about smoothing and finishing. The other difference between this article and any other is, this one wont have very many pictures.

When you first buy your winch, you want to make sure you buy one that will fit in the desired location. I picked the Mile Marker Si 12000. I picked this rig because of the line pull rating, and the low profile design. The low profile design allowed me a lot of room to design my mount any way I wanted to; almost. Heres a link.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92110_110_07.htm

The first thing I did was expose my front end my pulling the bumper off. I lifted the winch up with a jack to get an idea of where I wanted it. I took measure measurements from every angle, including side to side, and the bottom of the winch in relation to the frame. I measured to the frame, because this is where I would be welding to.

Name:  grantandwinch009.jpg
Views: 5424
Size:  94.9 KB

After getting measurements, I starting cutting and welding. I needed a little more than two inches for the winch to be where I wanted, so I took ¼” plate and 2” rectangle tubing, and welded perches to the frame. This is going to set the height of your mount.

Name:  winch.jpg
Views: 2882
Size:  46.5 KB

After that, I took 1” plate, and ran a beam from perch to perch, creating a saddle for the winch. I then cut three more pieces of plate to create a trapezoid looking mount. The basic frame was then done. (I rattlecanned it real quick before I took pics, 'real quick', as you can tell. lol)

Name:  winchlights004-1.jpg
Views: 3744
Size:  96.6 KB

From there, I took every angle, and turn, and put a gusset there. There isn’t a load bearing angle on this mount, that doesn’t have reinforcement. After welding all gussets, I set the winch onto the mount. Marked, and tapped holes for my bolts. Also, I forgot to add, I welded 1/4" plate on each side of the tubing, to the frame. Enclosing both sides of the tubing, on each side, giving more strength.

Name:  grantandwinch010.jpg
Views: 2871
Size:  77.2 KB
Name:  grantandwinch011.jpg
Views: 2848
Size:  80.5 KB

The winch came with bolts, but I took it upon myself to buy new bolts and washer, because the steal I used was thicker than any other mount on the market right now, so I had to buy the correct hardware for the job.

With the bumper still off, I bolted winch down, and ran my wiring. I then put the bumper back on, and with a plasma cutter, I cut out the license plate bracket. After doing so, I installed my roller fairlead, ran cable through, and installed the hook.

Name:  grantandwinch007.jpg
Views: 6479
Size:  90.9 KB

The main thing to remember is, when making your own mount is to make sure that you have plenty of gussets in areas where the mount may be weak. Im sorry there aren’t many pictures. When I made the mount, I was focused on making it durable, and I didn’t want to have to keep stopping and taking pictures.

PM me if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Last edited by 04-fourseven; 04-26-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: its been too long, I cant remember what I did, lol
Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

reral nice bro come do mine and ill treat your wife to dinner and a movie while you do the work...lol jk.
really lookin good you should hit it with some rust paint thow. and have you tried her out????

Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I didnt even think about painting it before i installed it, I spaced it out.

Hell, you can buy her dinner, that just means I dont have to! lol

Ive used it couple of times, and has worked great. I was recovering other people though.. not myself

Quick Reply: hidden winch mount DIY...