3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MC MPG... Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
elks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MC MPG... Few Questions

Well I read all aobut the MPG and how bad a 5.7L would be. So I prepared in my mind for the worse case. So far I am happily surprised. Recently I took 2 longer road trips. Almost all high way miles. My Computer read around 17 MPG the whole time. I couldnot believe it so I calculted it by hand when I filled up and the 17.1 calculated to 17.6. The last 50 miles I ran right at 20 mpg.

Is that killer good? I have the 1500 with te 5.7L Hemi. The trip involved going up Rabbit Ears Pass and also included me loving the throttle a little bit in town.

If I start making mods like a chip and CAI will it only improve or might id decrease? I hope it can only get better. I was thinking of doing a DIY CAI, do they work as well as the more expensive ones?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Matt99
Champion

Lets see...a chip is a waste. CAI will increase HP and MPG, you will love it. A DIY CAI won't be quite as effective as a mandrel bent K&N/Airraid/etc (and I have never built my own) but if really can't be that much better, definitely try it!!!

There are a ton of DIY intakes on this site, use the search tab...there have been a few just in the past week! And back on the chip thing, look at programmers. Diablo seems to be favored on here. They will give you the most bang for your buck.

You have a 5.7 liter v8 HEMI. Your engine uses more gas than the other choices. That is also why your truck is so FAST. Good news is, there are alot of mods to increase mileage 1+ here and 2+ there. The guys on here will give you pretty good estimates on this. Correct me on this but I'm giving personal gains:

Programmer-1
CAI-1.5
Exhaust-.5
Royal Purple Engine/Differentials-1.5

there are alot more things to do...e fan, gears, bed cover...but these mods give you more power so your foot gets a little closer to the floorboard!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Alpheus
Banned

If only there were a way that one could go through the older posts and see what has been said about this subject in the past.

I Got It!!!

SEARCH

All your questions have been asked and answered before. Do a quick search and ye shall find what ye are lookin for...

As far as the MPG that is about what I got with my 5.7 1500...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
elks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alpheus
If only there were a way that one could go through the older posts and see what has been said about this subject in the past.

I Got It!!!

SEARCH

All your questions have been asked and answered before. Do a quick search and ye shall find what ye are lookin for...

As far as the MPG that is about what I got with my 5.7 1500...

If only some people would actually read a post and see the question. My specific question was would or could these mods have a negative effect on my already above expected mpg. I know all about hte little things, just wanted to make sure I did not go backwards. PLease remember this is a Mage Cab. I found lots of people running them and saying the MPG was in the lower teens. 13-15 MPG.

Last edited by elks; 04-28-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I think the projections above are a little optimistic. You will see some gains with those mods, but they won't add up to 4.5 mpg.

Your first mod should be a programmer. Best bang for the buck by far.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I think the projections above are a little optimistic. You will see some gains with those mods, but they won't add up to 4.5 mpg.

Your first mod should be a programmer. Best bang for the buck by far.
Agreed, you ARE NOT going to see 4.5 mpg no matter what you do. Although 2-3 is not unrealistic.
A tuner is NEVER a bad choice. Also you will always get better mileage if you get it "breathing" better. So basically the "Big Three" mods of Tuner, CAI and Cat-Back Exhaust would be prudent choices. After that, an E-Fan would also be a great choice for increased gas mileage...

Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
elks
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Agreed, you ARE NOT going to see 4.5 mpg no matter what you do. Although 2-3 is not unrealistic.
A tuner is NEVER a bad choice. Also you will always get better mileage if you get it "breathing" better. So basically the "Big Three" mods of Tuner, CAI and Cat-Back Exhaust would be prudent choices. After that, an E-Fan would also be a great choice for increased gas mileage...
Thanks Hammer. I have always tried to foolow the idea of if it is not broke do not fix it. Since I happy with current performance I would hate to Mod it and have something go backwards. Since I did not find where anyone has had an issue with te big three, I am going to go forward.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Uh, look at my sig and I get 12 in town.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Matt99
Champion

I got about 23.5 hand calculated and I'm not sure what the overhead would have said( forgot to reset it while hunting) on my trip to Missou a few months ago....that's going 70+ with a huge load of gear and the meat from two 250lb deer. That seems like around 3-4 to me?

I think it's all how you drive...you can make it get 23.5 or 9.5, that's the biggest negative MPG in your truck

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Matt99
Lets see...a chip is a waste.
Lmao.... is that why my average mpg jumped up 2 gallons when i added my predator?

Highest i ever got was 25.3 with cruise control on for 4 hours at 75 mph

Quick Reply: MC MPG... Few Questions