3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just orderd my Diablo sport tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM
jumbonas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered one myself.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by KingLui
look it says right here that the 91 tune can be used with 91,89,87 octane or am i reading wrong? or are they wrong???

• WOT Spark 1k-3.8k:
    Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 1000-3800 rpm range
  • WOT Spark 4k-4.8k:
    Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 4000-4800 rpm range
  • WOT Spark 5k-7k:
    Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 5000-7000 rpm range
    To properly dial in your timing using the Predator you need to log or monitor the following live data parameters.
    Spark, this is your actual timing (in degrees) at any given time.
    Knock Retard, this the amount of timing removed (in degrees) due to knock (detonation/ping). The knock sensors can in rare cases pick up other harsh engine noises as well, if this is the case it is recommended to fix the cause of the noise before proceeding.
    You basically always want the knock retard to read zero under wide open throttle conditions, it is normal for it to show some KR when stomping on the throttle and also during the shift.
    Monitor the spark and the knock retard pids under wide open throttle and see if you have any knock retard, anything higher than 1 should be adjusted in the respective timing range in the Predator , if the knock is severe, 5 deg plus, try lowering spark by 10%, if less than 5 deg, try 5%. Make another wide open pass and monitor the same pids and basically keep doing this until you seen no knock retard.
    NOTE: The use of respective grade fuel should be used with tune choice.
    91 octane tune will run on 87,89 and 91 octane. The 93 octane (Performance) tune will run on 91 and 93 octane. If severe knock cannot be remedied by adjusting the parameters for it, try to install the factory tune and monitor the knock using it. If knock still is present consider switching fuel brand.
    DiabloSport recommends using fuels from the following vendors:
    Mobil, Sunoco and Amoco/BP.
I don't care what it says or where you got that quote, they're not going to rebuild your engine when you get severe detonation...you are. The higher the octane tunes the more the timing is advanced. I see where you're confused though..in one sentence it says use respective grade fuel per tune choice and the next says the opposite.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM
KingLui
Banned

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I don't care what it says or where you got that quote, they're not going to rebuild your engine when you get severe detonation...you are. The higher the octane tunes the more the timing is advanced. I see where you're confused though..in one sentence it says use respective grade fuel per tune choice and the next says the opposite.

i got that quote from diablosport.com but thank you! now i can be quiet and sleep good at night haha. with the 91 tune does that automatically give you better shift points?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
KingLui
Banned
Question

if i have a cold air intake do i need a custome tune for the diablo predator? or do i just plug it in and select the tune i want? do i need to get a dyno or something?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol no you dont need a custom tune. custom tuning if for the big boy mods not a cai.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Yea, I didnt get a custom tune until I upgraded the cam, put headers on, and installed my kenne bell.... lol

Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
KingLui
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
lol no you dont need a custom tune. custom tuning if for the big boy mods not a cai.

hehehe i feel real dumb now haha. ok im about to install it im going to use the 91 tune, so all theres is to it with the 91 tune is using 91 octane and thats it? simple as that?

is chevron and shell a good gas brand?

is there an option so if you have a CAI? or it dosent matter just click the tune you want?

Last edited by KingLui; 05-04-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
KingLui
Banned
Wink

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08

what is the retard the timining - 2 ? what does tha mean?

with the 91 tune do i get better shifts? and atleast a bit more mpg???

Last edited by KingLui; 05-04-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Just orderd my Diablo sport tuner