3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pacesetter LT headers DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very cool guys

Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Arsiid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the header and y-pipe install did you have to relocate the vapor lines on the driver side of the truck? I am installing the pacesetter longtubes with 3" y-pipe and it runs extremely close to the vapor and fuel return lines.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice write up. LTs have een on mine mind for a few months now and I going to get them one day soon. One day..........

Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Y also made by Pacesetter -- maybe even a kit? If so, does it meet up with the cat-back section in the same place as stock?

The only thing that ever kept me from considering headers was the DIY aspect of getting them connected to the rest of the exhaust.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:15 PM
orangeHEMI08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping the Cats

You mentioned that you have to get a Y-pipe in order to keep the pre-existing Cats? Did you keep the cats and where did you get them from? I've got straight pipes right now and I want to keep my exhaust a little eco-friendly with the cat.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:58 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arsiid
During the header and y-pipe install did you have to relocate the vapor lines on the driver side of the truck? I am installing the pacesetter longtubes with 3" y-pipe and it runs extremely close to the vapor and fuel return lines.
you donthave to relocate them, but I used wire/zip ties to pull them tight against the frame rail to ensure they dont touch. You may also consider using the aluminum heat sheild from the stock manifold to fabricate some kind of heat shield for them.

Originally Posted by John M
Is the Y also made by Pacesetter -- maybe even a kit? If so, does it meet up with the cat-back section in the same place as stock?

The only thing that ever kept me from considering headers was the DIY aspect of getting them connected to the rest of the exhaust.
Yes, the Y-pipe is also made my pacesetter. The fitment wasnt 100% perfect as far as lining them up, but VERY close. I just unbolted the hangers at the exhaust tips to get the y-pipe and muffler to line up easier, then forced the tips back into place. It went together very well without hardly any effort .

Originally Posted by orangeHEMI08
You mentioned that you have to get a Y-pipe in order to keep the pre-existing Cats? Did you keep the cats and where did you get them from? I've got straight pipes right now and I want to keep my exhaust a little eco-friendly with the cat.
No, if you get an aftermarket y-pipe you've gotta lose the cats. If you want to keep the cats, you still need a y-pipe, but dont invest the money in one for a kit, because you'll have to hack it up. PM HammerZ71 if you have questions about the LT's while keeping the cats. I took mine out.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter LT headers DIY