3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Don't know if I'm going to like the CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason a lot of people forget the disconnect the battery even though it is the first step in most CAI install directions. Fist I'm sorry you don't like it but give it a reset and a little time to get used to the increased airflow. It is going to be loud, that is just the nature of the open filter setup. One plus is that even S&B dust tests show the airaid as a very efficient filter, so that's good news.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did disconnect the negative battery terminal during install.

I called 4 wheel parts yesterday about returning it. They called Airaid and got back to me. The dude at airaid was shocked that I wasn't happy with it. Said every truck they've tested this model of cai on benefitted greatly. He also said I was the first person to complain, that they've had nothing but rave customer reviews of people with this engine and this intake. Well, thats what I expected him to say so it doesn't hold much water with me.

Hammer, thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out right now.

My time is limited really, I'd like to drive it around and let the truck "get used to" the new air but by doing that I'm eliminating the option of returning it. I'll drive it around this weekend and see how I feel on Monday.

I was planning on doing headers myself, but I can't do the long tube because of emissions and I've read on here that the short tube are pretty much useless with only about 2 rear wheel horsepower added. So looks like the headers are out.

Should have done what LXMan suggested with the drop in and tube.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 AM
TheFist
Veteran

I just checked the link. I did disconnect the negative cable during the install. Would it be worth my time to reset the pcm by using the fuse pull, ignition method?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 AM
chambers
Record Breaker

I don't think pulling the fuse is gonna help it learn any quicker than the battery disconnect. The spectre intake that I got had the opposite effect on my truck b/c it bumped my power band up and I had more pull in the higher rpm's and less in the lower. If you are looking for a drop in w/ the tube like the MIT true flow makes a good kit that you can get off amazon for about 125.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
I don't think pulling the fuse is gonna help it learn any quicker than the battery disconnect. The spectre intake that I got had the opposite effect on my truck b/c it bumped my power band up and I had more pull in the higher rpm's and less in the lower. If you are looking for a drop in w/ the tube like the MIT true flow makes a good kit that you can get off amazon for about 125.
Any time you increase airflow throughout the system you are going to increase mid and upper response and decrease lower end. The engine is more efficient, but it's the inefficient backpressure that actually increases low end performance (torque).
I've got a CAI, LT Headers and my extreme low end is no better than stock, maybe even a tad worse, but from about 2200 rpms and up, way more power.

My cam was going to be the difference, the custom -4 degree grind giving me all the low end I could ever want, therefore giving me really good gains throughout the entire band, but financial/health issues have put that part on hold for a bit. But I'll get there!!!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:59 PM
taker24
Professional

Originally Posted by chambers
For some reason a lot of people forget the disconnect the battery even though it is the first step in most CAI install directions.
I am one of those people.
How big of a deal is this?? I didn't disconnect the battery when I installed my airaid MIT, I drove it for probably a week before I had my muffler installed. Good news, when the guy installed my muffler he disconnected the battery because of the welding he did.
Did I do any harm by installing the cai without disconnecting the battery?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

You don't hurt your truck by not doing it, but it does take the pcm/ecm longer to adjust to the increased airflow.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:07 PM
TheFist
Veteran

So, I was thinking today. The pipe to the throttle body on the airaid is longer and thinner than the rubber hose going to the throttle body on the stock intake. How can this possibly be better?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

It eliminates the hemi hat which supposedly gives a lot better flow and that accordion tube looks like it just creates turbulence. If you are returning it try one of the true flow kits which keeps the filter box, but replaces the tubing to the TB and the filter. Keep in mind that it will be louder than stock but not as loud as the open filter setup you just had.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

A CAI is a CAI....they're all the same and yes they do work if the air is being restricted with the factory setup. The higher gain claims of some is BS. The only way to get better gains is by compressing the air and no CAI or some mythical "ram air" setup will do this. Any engine will only take in the air it needs...unless you increase the engines demand (cam, heads) or shove the air in (blower, turbo).