3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dishonest Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

That to me is more of a "know-it-all" who don't know jack! the parts guys don't make commisions, so it's useless to have them sell you a $900+ part that could have been $12.

I'm gonna stick up just this once for the dealership who has an Idiot on the books. Guy must have transferred over from Autozone or something....lmfao

Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
busch2fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure you would call this dishonesty but it's close. A friend order 2009 Ram Crew Cab with crew boxes. Dealer called and told him it would be in a couple of days and he needed to come in and sign some papers. They told him that Chrylser Finance was no longer making loans and he needed to get a loan from Chase at 2.9% He had a signed contract for 36mo zero percent. He told them he wanted his deposit back that he was going to get a Ford. The dealer is honoring the orig contract. This sounds like something Chrysler is doing not the dealer.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
TNDODGE2002

Originally Posted by dirtydog
That to me is more of a "know-it-all" who don't know jack! the parts guys don't make commisions, so it's useless to have them sell you a $900+ part that could have been $12.

I'm gonna stick up just this once for the dealership who has an Idiot on the books. Guy must have transferred over from Autozone or something....lmfao
You may be right, but the was not trying to sell the same part for $900.00 oppose to $12.00. He was trying to sell me the entire wireing harness for my truck instaed of just connector itself. He knew what he was doing because of the conversation he was having with the guy next to him. When he put me on hold he did not hit the hold button. I could hear his conversation. Maybe if their revenues (not commision) are higher, maybe they won't have to lay-off employees. I don't know Maybe he was the low guy on the totem pole and next in line to get canned. All we/I can do is speculate. Some of the dealers around here have been laying off mechanics. At Rice when I picked up the part. There was only one car in the service bay dept. The rest of the guys were playing cards and cuttin up.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TNDODGE2002
You may be right, but the was not trying to sell the same part for $900.00 oppose to $12.00. He was trying to sell me the entire wireing harness for my truck instaed of just connector itself. He knew what he was doing because of the conversation he was having with the guy next to him. When he put me on hold he did not hit the hold button. I could hear his conversation. Maybe if their revenues (not commision) are higher, maybe they won't have to lay-off employees. I don't know Maybe he was the low guy on the totem pole and next in line to get canned. All we/I can do is speculate. Some of the dealers around here have been laying off mechanics. At Rice when I picked up the part. There was only one car in the service bay dept. The rest of the guys were playing cards and cuttin up.
It's entire dealerships that are being forced to close based upon revenue.
Apparently GM announced it wanted to close 60% of it's dealerships nationwide. Talk about B.S. Nothing like standing behind the guys that do the dirty work for them and make them the money.
They have to close dealerships because 99% of major dealerships are funded by the auto maker themselves who can't afford it anymore. That's the main reason.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 PM
09W3500
Rookie

I'd like to see more threads like this, reporting both the good AND the bad. The car companies may be broke, but cheating customers isn't the way to make a comeback.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Bones1274
Professional

Three weeks ago I went to the dealer to get some front mud flaps for the truck. I already have the rears. They told me it would be $47 for the flaps and $85 to install them. $85 for 10 minutes worth of work!?! I laughed at the service writer, called him an idiot and walked out. Ended up back at the dealer yesterday and decided to check on the flaps again. Today the flaps were $19, and a different service guy told me $45 to install them. I bought the flaps but I will put them on myself. This is the same service department that wanted to charge me $95 to stick on some window vents......God I hate them.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't mind if they charge more, a lot more even. You get a price, if it's too high, you go elsewhere if you can't do the work yourself.
What gets me is when they lie and cheat!!! Unfortunately, it's too commonplace amongst the dealerships. Too many cases of not doing work they bill for, or giving one price then jacking it up when they do the actual work, or saying you need work that you don't need.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
busch2fan

Wow, I don't find those kinds of shenanigans at the Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealers in Toledo Oh. I ask the service guy about setting the tilt-in-reverse mirrors on the wife's Liberty. Sure, no problem. Done! No cost. Other guys report charges up to $75 to get it done.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Some are great, some suck big time!!! With our luck, the shake up and closing of dealerships will probably nix the few good ones that are out there...

Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost same thing happened to me. My dog for some reason decided he didn't like my fog light, and chewed/ripped off the plug for the light. The light was fine, just the wires had been chewed, and the plug was obliterated. Well anyway I let it go for awhile, was in no hurry to get it fixed until one day I was out of town doing some work, project got haulted by the city inspector for a week, so I had some time to kill, I went to the dealership there and was told I had to buy a complete fog light kit, they couldn't just get the plug!!! I didn't stick around for the price, told him I'd find a junkyard before I paid for the whole kit. Later when I got home I called the dealership I bought my truck from, sure enough you could buy just the plug/wiring harness for $20. Done deal. Still haven't installed it though.... lol

Quick Reply: Dishonest Dealership