3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Extang Tonneau Tonic vs. Armor All?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM
NYBowbender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extang Tonneau Tonic vs. Armor All?

I have an Extang Full Tilt on my truck and all over their literature they warn against using a protectant like Armor All and say that you have to use their Tonneau Tonic - which is fine except the stuff is 10 bucks for a little bottle!

Anybody have any experience with just using Armor All? I don't know if it's just a sales gimmick designed to get you to buy their expensive protectant, or if there's really something to it.

As an aside, when I was putting the full-tilt back on this spring (I run an ARE Z-Series cap once hunting season rolls around) and i noticed one of the aluminum corners was cracked. I called Extang to order a replacement and they shipped the part out to me NO CHARGE!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

I am not sure but will give you a BUMP.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the TruXedo stuff on mine. (I'm sure it's the same as Xtang) It only takes a little to do the cover, so a small bottle will last quite awhile. The oily texture of Armor-all type stull will run all down the side of the truck the first time it rains and make a mess. It also may have an adverse effect on the cover material.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
NYBowbender

I had that problem (the runoff) when I was driving a Taco, I'll have to try the stuff you mentioned. Thanks much!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Run-off isn't the problem. it's the actual product itself. Armorall actually dries up plastics and rubber and makes them brittle. It's been proven many times. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the UV rays or if it's the product all on it's own????
I stopped using Armorall about 5-6years ago. My tires have never looked better and no fading at all on any black plastic pieces.
Armorall fades, dries and cracks. It only looks good for the first day and that's it. Stay away from Armorall on your dash and tonneau. Tires are pretty hearty and I only had minor dry rot cracking when i did use the stuff. Armorall on the tires and then wiped dry is a nice look and doesn't catch as much dirt as other brands.

Meguirs makes a Quick interior shine that is no where near as harmful as Armorall?????? I use that stuff now as well as furniture polish. Yup wood furntiure polish. Works awesome. i love the orange scent.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:17 PM
NoBlinger
Rookie

I'm sure furniture polish is MUCH BETTER then Armorall and it been proven MANY times NOT to dry up plastics and rubber and makes them brittle. LOL I think I will try some paint thinner I have heard good things about that stuff.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBlinger
I'm sure furniture polish is MUCH BETTER then Armorall and it been proven MANY times NOT to dry up plastics and rubber and makes them brittle. LOL I think I will try some paint thinner I have heard good things about that stuff.

Well, I have been using the stuff for years now and haven't had ANYTHING fade or crack. For giggles when i first started using the stuff, I compared side by side against armorall on my black plastic mirrors on my beater car. (mirrors were brand new at the time) Guess which one didn't fade??? Guess which one wasn't brittle looking or feeling. i did that for 2 years consitently. I wish i took pictures. Dam**t

Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 PM
NYBowbender

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Run-off isn't the problem. it's the actual product itself. Armorall actually dries up plastics and rubber and makes them brittle.
That's actually what Extang warned against, for me the nasty dribbles are just another unpleasant side effect. Jeez, sounds like I need to set up a visit to the urologist...

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NYBowbender
That's actually what Extang warned against, for me the nasty dribbles are just another unpleasant side effect. Jeez, sounds like I need to set up a visit to the urologist...
Armor all will also make the cover itself shrink and then void your warranty (Extang has a pretty decent one too).

Quick Reply: Extang Tonneau Tonic vs. Armor All?