3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Retainer Clip / "C-Clip" Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy a used rear end, get a mechanic friend if you have one, buy a case of beer, give case of beer to mechanic, have mechanic fix the rear end. Make sure he doesnt drink it till the job is almost done though. Then help him finish the beer. The more you drink then the less you just payed him. LOL!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 AM
abarmby
Champion

Get a used rear end.
Install a new DTT c/w a superior install kit which contains all the necessary new bearings, seals and new crush sleeve etc.
This will make the used rear "like new" again.
With the DTT you will have a bullet proff rear and no more worries.
I replaced my crappy stock LSD with a DTT and I have both peace of mind and a great planted axel.
Here's a pic of my axel and DTT install.

Name:  DTTadjusted.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  49.1 KB

Hope this helps?
AL.

Last edited by abarmby; 05-15-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 AM
DougieFresh1970

Name:  MyRide.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  58.2 KB

Anyone have tips on the kits and tools needed to overhaul my 9.25 LSD trac-loc differential? Im having the same issue with my 02 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Ive been driving for about a year with a noisy pinion bearing. On a tight budget all I could to in the meantime is frequently change the axel lube with heavy weight synthetic gear lube in hopes to keep the metal bearing shavings down to a minimum. The first lube change I did of course laying inside on the magnet were those c clips everyone seems to find. I dont believe I need to replace the housing. The only leaking I see is the gear lube out the pinion. Ive had the rear tires off a few times and didn't see any seepage out the axel ends. With luck I may get by without having to replace much more than the seals and bearings. I may replace the LSD trac-loc with the 9.25 12 Bolt Auburn Posi LSD. Ive rebuilt a few motors in the past but this will be a first with an axel overhaul. Thanks in advance. Doug

Last edited by DougieFresh1970; 07-21-2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: add photo

Quick Reply: Retainer Clip / "C-Clip" Woes