3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My experience with 2 light mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:17 AM
NYBowbender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My experience with 2 light mods

Just thought I'd post up to help anyone considering these mods, not a good or bad thing, just my experience so far.

MOD #1: Edge Evolution Programmer
I considered purchasing this used from several people here but ultimately purchased one new ($389 including shipping from AutoAnything.com) because I figured if I had a problem it'd be much easier to return.

PROS -
1. Easy install (although getting big hands inside the dash pod to mark the location of the mounting tabs is a pain).

2. Neat dashpod, if you're an info-junkie like me you'll like it.

3. Noticeable improvement in power and shifting in "Extreme" mode.

4. Easily returnable to stock mode.

5. Limited programming options keep dummies like me from really screwing something up on the truck.

CONS -
1. Significant pinging even in "Economy" mode, won't work with 87 Octane (at least for me).

2. Sometimes get a short whine and a clunk shifting from park to drive.

3. Previously unnoticeable change from V-4 to V-8 (MDS) now feels like a shift, annoying on long trips.

4. No increase in fuel economy noticed in "Economy" mode.

5. No ability to compensate for aftermarket tire size.

6. The speedometer function does not agree with the dash gauge (approximately 1-2 mph off). Which one is correct?

Would I purchase this product again: NO.

Mod #2: Dynolock Electric Tailgate Lock with "High Security Actuator".
I purchased this item from Hubcapsplus.com for $102.45 including the $27 upgrade to the "High Security Actuator" mainly because I thought it would be great to have a tailgate lock that operated in tandem with the electric truck locks.

PROS -
1. None - Haven't been able to get it to work yet.

CONS -
1. Flimsy design - the actuator comes mounted on a piece of flat relatively weak stock (aluminum?) that bounces and bangs inside the tailgate every time you raise or lower the tailgate. I need to find a way to brace or otherwise shore up this thing before it makes me nuts.

2. The lock operates by sliding a steel rod into the mechanism of the tailgate; whe you lift the handle it forces a metal angle bracket down to operate the side rods; the steel bar moves into position beneath the metal angle and is *supposed* to keep the handle from being raised (and the metal angle lowered). I locked it by hand and with out too much force was able to force the handle open by simply applying firm pressure; the weak mounting plate just flexed and the steel locking rod slid out from under the angle. Not so secure... shoring up the bracket may solve this problem.

3. The wiring instructions (look for a lime green and tan/orange wire) are incorrect. An e-mail to the company about this got me the following response:

"We have had problems with Dodge wiring. The wires can be Tan/pink and Blue, Tan/light green and Line green, or Tan/orange and Lime Green. It depends on site and month of manufacture. I suggest using a test light. Ground the light and press it into the insulation, then hit the remote or switch. You should get a flash on the correct wires. Remember to try it both in the lock and unlock operation on each wire. Dodge and Nissan both have alternate wiring combinations by site and date of manufacture."

Say what?

Would I purchase this product again: NO.

Off to install my Rough Country leveling kit...

Old 05-16-2009, 08:56 AM
sos
All Star

Good writeup, I am especially interested in the tailgate lock because I was looking at the Pace Edwards one, which by the looks of it, is the same as the Dynolock one you have. It's a shame it's flimsy, because I was hoping it was good.

The wiring part I can understand - it's not Dynolock's fault that Dodge decided they want to switch colors around, and their email was actually pretty descriptive - telling you to look for a few different colored wires to try out.

Thanks for the reviews!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that is a shame about the tailgate lock bc I was thinking about getting one of those.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

+1 on the tailgate locks... i was also wanting to get one. are they all made this poorly?

Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
NYBowbender

I'm glad someone finds the information useful... I've been lurking here for some time now, reading the FAQ's and learning from you guys, I figured it's time to start giving something back. In this case, if I can help somebody save a few hard earned $$ all the better!

I think the tailgate lock will work well with some minor mods to firm things up, but I was just a little disappointed with what I got for $100.

Did the front lift today (Rough Country 2.5"), plan on adding the 1.5" blocks and new shocks to the rear tomorrow. Pretty basic install, going for an alignment Monday morning.

Thanks again to all you guys for so much good information!

Last edited by NYBowbender; 06-17-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:39 PM
draco8494
Captain

like the level install but why the blocks in rear?

Old 05-16-2009, 08:42 PM
NoBlinger
Rookie

I agree with you on #3

"3. Previously unnoticeable change from V-4 to V-8 (MDS) now feels like a shift, annoying on long trips."

I put a bully lock on my tailgate the other day 10 min install..It uses a key but hey it's better then no tailgate at all!!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

level looks good, bummer about your first thread.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Level does look good. Funny you should mention putting blocks in the rear. I just talked to my buddy last night, and hes going to work on making me a set of 1" blocks for the rear. My truck squats about 1.5" low in the rear, looking to bring it back, lol. Will give me plenty of clearance for 305's when the time comes, if I decided to go that big.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

Thats a bummer about the tailgate lock didnt know you could put one on wish it worked better because thats a pretty sweet idea for when your tonneu doesnt lock

Quick Reply: My experience with 2 light mods