3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio stays on when I open the door

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 AM
it_mike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, guys...

If it's been working fine for ~2yrs, I doubt they got the constant wiring wrong.

Check the mag switches first, then the timer. Third, do you still have the factory, or another spare, radio? It could be the stereo has an issue and is now running off the constant.

Mike

Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
AK Rover
Rookie

The head unit is older than the truck so it could be having problems. (I had the stereo in my 2001 2500 and when the dealer decided to rip me off on trade I pulled the stereo and left a hole in the dash.) I really hope not as I can't afford to replace it. I will try swapping the factory stereo back in and see if the problem still exists.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
sos
All Star

Originally Posted by it_mike
Ah, guys...

If it's been working fine for ~2yrs, I doubt they got the constant wiring wrong.

Check the mag switches first, then the timer. Third, do you still have the factory, or another spare, radio? It could be the stereo has an issue and is now running off the constant.

Mike
I was thinking more along the lines of something came loose. The interior lights still work correctly, so the door switches are probably not the problem. I think that the wire telling the truck is on is the problem... I do agree to try the factory radio though - hopefully the installer used a harness and didn't cut and splice into the factory wires.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
AK Rover
Rookie

I figured it out. I had my CB power running from the same place the stereo gets power and apparently the noise filter in my CB power line has a capacitor that was providing power to the stereo until it discharged. I should have thought of that sooner. I added the noise filter because I was getting so much noise through the CB but it didn't help so I removed the CB. I decided I wanted my HID lights in the truck more than the CB.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
sos
All Star

Well there you go! Good troubleshooting!

That's what we are here for.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:04 PM
Sarah Shepard
Default no I doesn’t

Originally Posted by Alpheus
Is your dome light working normal when you open and close the door? Play around with the door switch and see if your stereo turns off...
My done light doesn’t turn on when I open my door, my radio stays on for a good couple minutes after opening the door. If I open the door on the passenger side it will however turn off. Today my van wouldn’t start and would only click. After a few minutes I tried again and the van worked

Quick Reply: Radio stays on when I open the door