3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Drive shaft squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
drisok
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft squeak

I am trying to diagnose a problem and was wondering if anyone has had the same or similar experience. I have a 2003 Ram 2500 4x4. After having sat for a few weeks while I was traveling, a squeak has appeared in or around the driveshaft. THe squeak disappears above 20 mph (or isnt detectible) and only happens while in Drive or Reverse. If I am in Neutral and coast, the sound isnt present.

I have tried spraying the U joints with a lightweight oil and that proved to be of no help. The U joints dont appear to be loose either.

I see Ghostrider had the same problem but no solution was posted.

Has anyone had a similar problem that they solved?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is the u-joint try greasing if there is a fitting, if not or if it dont stop only other thing is a new u-joint

Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 PM
willfire67
Default driveshaft squeak

I had the same problem. The center driveshaft weight used to balance the shaft at high speeds had fallen off. The adhesive had faulted and fell off. I noticed the squeak then looked at the shaft right away and seen a clean spot among the surface rust. The weight on the trans end was still there tho.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

[QUOTE=drisok;1674207] The U joints dont appear to be loose either.

QUOTE]

It's your u-joints. Don't forget, joints will get tight before they get loose. Alot of people get under thier truck and try to shake the shaft, then say the joints are fine because they aren't "loose". Pull the driveshaft and try to move the joints by hand. I'll bet they're full of rust n' dust.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Meineke jockey
Default Tried that.

Working on a 08 dodge ram 1500 2wd. It has the squeak. Replaced both U-Joints. Still there. Replaced the drive shaft. (Used). Not there. Replaced U-joints. Noise is there. So two different drive shafts all new U-Joints on the both shafts noise will not go away.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:39 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

sometimes the serpentine belt will squeak at weird times, I had a squeak and it was a muffler hanger rubber. only way I found it was puttin on a new muff unsuspectingly

Quick Reply: Drive shaft squeak