3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tried putting on my CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
SlimJim24
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried putting on my CAI

well for the first time i tried doing a mod to the engine... i wouldn't say it was a huge failure but i didn't get it completed... as i said before i purchased the CAI from chromeintakes bundled with a K&N filter. I was able to disasemble all the stock things in my truck, just as the directions said. When it came to the part where i was supposed to instal the crank case vent hose, i had no clue what to do... all it said was "(put the blue hose into the Black hose)."
so what i ended up doing was putting it all back together, which surprised me that i could actually do it.

so can anyone give me better directions on how to complete that part? I think if i can figure that out then i'll try it again by myself to see if i can do it all

as always, thanks for your help

Old 05-21-2009, 08:50 PM
speed_man13
Professional
Default umm.

I got one of those from ChromeIntakes too and I never put that blue hose on....just left that port capped cuz I dont think I needed it.....Its been running fine for nearly 15000 miles....knock on wood...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM
SlimJim24
Rookie

Originally Posted by speed_man13
I got one of those from ChromeIntakes too and I never put that blue hose on....just left that port capped cuz I dont think I needed it.....Its been running fine for nearly 15000 miles....knock on wood...
well then, maybe i'll give that a shot tomorrow, kinda frustrated now that i could have just done it all instead of put it all back together, but hey, any practice i can get with anything up there near the engine is a plus

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's the oil breather hose. There should be a hose running to the stock air box (that's the breather hose you need to connect to), here is a pic of derrick's from his album so maybe it will help you https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...24-engine.html

Last edited by chambers; 05-21-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
7mmmag1
Professional

You slide the black hose into the blue hose. Its a hose extender so it can reach to the nipple on the intake tube so the crank case breather stays clean and doesnt suck dirt into the oil

Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 AM
SlimJim24
Rookie

Originally Posted by 7mmmag1
You slide the black hose into the blue hose. Its a hose extender so it can reach to the nipple on the intake tube so the crank case breather stays clean and doesnt suck dirt into the oil
wow man, that's disappointing... i was doing just that, then i second guessed myself

thanks for that link chambers

Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

yea...you'll see that in my picture (that's my old intake) that the blue hose after getting warmed up so many times got really flexible and what not, and no longer curved, but simply bent/folded over itself. go to autozone, and get some hard corde heater hose that has a real nice wall, so that it won't do that...

but here's my question to you...did you get the stock air box bracket off? or did u leave it bolted to fender?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:01 AM
SlimJim24
Rookie

Originally Posted by derricksmash
yea...you'll see that in my picture (that's my old intake) that the blue hose after getting warmed up so many times got really flexible and what not, and no longer curved, but simply bent/folded over itself. go to autozone, and get some hard corde heater hose that has a real nice wall, so that it won't do that...

but here's my question to you...did you get the stock air box bracket off? or did u leave it bolted to fender?
i was just gonna leave it bolted to the fender when i try it again
is that bad?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by SlimJim24
i was just gonna leave it bolted to the fender when i try it again
is that bad?
it's not bad, no. it just looks a lot nicer under there. i only asked cause maybe it'd stir up the curiosity =) and make ya not wanna leave it.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Redbud66
Professional

I left the whole bottom half of the airbox on mine cause I'm paranoid about water splashing up there

Quick Reply: Tried putting on my CAI