3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Computer troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
RCobb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Computer troubles?

Hello all,

My wife's truck is an '03 1500 4.7 liter. She got a check-engine light last week (P0340 and P0344). Replaced the camshaft position sensor as the code indicates and reset the computer/code by disconnecting the battery. After reconnecting, the code was clear. Ran the truck for about 15 minutes around town to test. After about 10 minutes of running, truck stalled out at idle and the check engine light came back on. Same two codes. Other symptoms are: engine stalls at idle with no load intermittently, cruise control will not come on, motor runs fine with no or light load but will miss and "stutter" on hard acceleration (like trying to pass on the highway or hard acceleration on the on-ramp to a highway), and finally, some of the dash indicator lamps will flash on and off quickly (with associated warnig bells). All other systems in the truck seem to work fine.

Are these symptoms typically indicative of an ECM or computer problem, or could something else be causing the computer to go nuts? Or, is there some other things I need to look for? If it is the computer, any ballpark ideas of what I am looking at as far as replacement cost and/or work involved in fixing it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

It could very well be the pcm...was there any visible damage to the old sensor?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Check the alternator voltage. Low voltage can make things act very strange.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM
RCobb1

lxman1: I'll check voltage, thanks... I know in my diesel that if one of the batteries is low, it can do odd things (last time it happened, I got codes indicating a problem with the MAP sensor... replacing the bad battery fixed it) but didn't know it could affect a gasser like that as well.

Severedistorion: The old sensor looked normal with a little bit of oil staining on the metalic end (normal oil colored staining). Wiring connection was tight and dry. No visible damage at all, but one never knows with electronics.

I did, however, JUST find out (while replying) that on several times in the last few months the wife got a check-engine light when starting, but she just shut it off and restarted and it went off... don't know if it helps or makes a difference so far.

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Computer troubles?