3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 PM
snidehockey
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C replacement

Alright...I'm gonna tackle replacing pretty much the entire A/C system in my G/f's 03 eclipse. I would bring this up on the eclipse forums, but everyone there is more worried about fart cans, and led nozzles.

Her condenser has leaked freon for about a year and finally the compressor gave out for lack of oil I'm assuming (after charging, then leaking over and over) It sounds like a machine gun when it tries to engage.

SO the systems already empty...I've ordered a new compressor, condenser, drier, and expansion valve.

There's gonna be a good amount of labor but I'm not concerned about that (I replaced the engine and tranny in my mustang by myself). The only real question I have is in regards to adding oil to the system...does it get added after the system is closed or is it put into a fill area? Should I just have whoever charges it add oil to it as well? Should I charge it myself and add the oil? I guess I'm just really unfamiliar w/ that process...

One thing I am sure of is I 'm not gonna pay $1500 in labor to replace 3 or 4 components!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll have to take it to a shop and have them put a vacuum on it to remove any and all moisture from the system (usually about 15 min or so)....if they charge it and they are half *** smart about it, then will add oil to the system....the compressor will come full of oil...make sure to drain the oil from the new compressor

Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
dazed01
Veteran

you need to add the specified amout of oil to each part you replace from the ac system. It also has to be the right type of oil. I know thats a cheese dick answer but I don't have alldata in front of me right now. If you like on monday when I get back to work I can check. You add it directly to the part when you replace it. When you are done you should take it to a shop and have them run vacuum on it for 15 min and make sure it holds vacuum. Make sure you also lube the orings on the parts.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 PM
snidehockey
Rookie

Thank you guys! So you're saying even though the new compressor comes w/ like 40ml of oil in it - just dump it?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well don't throw it away, empty it into a an empty dixie cup or somethin and pour in less then a 1/4 of what came out

Quick Reply: A/C replacement