3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we do have a cummins section cory that can answer your questions, although many of the guys down here do know some things about diesel. i for one have worked at an auto shop and know a good deal about diesel and that type of stuff. if you want a V8 diesel i suggest you check out Ford's Powerstroke, but the Cummins is an inline 6. If you do your research you'll find that the cummins motor is just about the best out of the big 3 (in my opinion by far the best) turbo's are on all of the diesels so nothing special there unless it has twins and as far as the miles go, i personally would not worry about the engine, its just everything else that the other guys have mentioned. the tranny on the dodge is a big worry especially with those amount of miles. we use to have a 98' 3500 and we went through 3 tranny's before selling it and we had about 250k miles on it. other than the tranny and AC there wasnt any problems with it. in your case i would be very weary about the frame damage and would definatly give it a thorough look before considering buying it.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Cory S

I'm sorry for posting in the wrong section, I didn't realize they were split up by motor.

I guess it would be the nickel and dime stuff that would be failing around the mile marker that would kill me the most...window motors, sensors, hoses, wheel bearings, bushings, etc.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mmstar23
If you do your research you'll find that the cummins motor is just about the best out of the big 3
Until Ford releases its caterpillar 3054 diesel It's going to be a beast

Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Ohh, Hammer, I was able to retrieve your message, but I still cannot access my inbox nor reply back to your message. Pyro said it would be a week of PA. never said anything about removing my PM box??? Like I can't even see it. it's not there, but it was when you PM'd me. I left it now it's gone again.
Anyways, that was last Friday or Saturday???? I've got a few days left for your damn approvals. Ohh, what good are approvals if i can modify without control afterwards???.....
I checked the ModCP, and your PM privileges were shut off by an admin at the same time you were placed on PA. When the PA expires, it will re-enable your PM box.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Until Ford releases its caterpillar 3054 diesel It's going to be a beast
I worked at cat...stick with the cummins.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info Pyro. Makes sense.

I would agree with Feej!

Sorry for jacking your thread Cory. Hope you figure things out.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?