3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Cory S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

Hey guys, I'm new to trucks, turbos, and diesel, have done most of my modding on LT1 fbodies.

I have been looking for a diesel 4x4 truck and I came across this and fell in love with the looks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-DODGE-RAM-2500-SLT-LARAMIE-4X4-DIESEL-LIFTED-TX_W0QQitemZ320377346505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars _Trucks?hash=item4a97fa59c9&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245& _trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

Few things stick out, the miles seem really dang high...but I hear diesels have more life in them than gas engines...how true is that?

It has a skyjacker lift, don't those handle like crap on the road?

It is a 6 cylinder, but yet it is a turbo, so I don't know how much power this thing has. It would need to routinely pull my car to the track...about 6 thousand pounds with trailer. I'm sure it has tons of torque with that setup, but My guess is Hp would be in the low to mid 200s? How is that going to do at keeping highway speeds?

It probably has stock gears how is that going to do with the lift and tires on it?

It says it has frame damage, I guess there is no way to know how serious or repairable that is what out seeing it, and it is a 6 hour drive from me.

He mentions he is changing out driveshafts and u joints, could that be from taking shortcuts with the lift kit?

So, what do you guys think of it?

Last edited by Cory S; 06-03-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Bigc9164
Veteran

it has alot of miles. thats a turnoff. but looks like a nice truck if you want an older one.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Cory S

How long does the drive train on those usually hold up?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing I thought looking at just one of the pics. "Ahhhhh, this guy went Armorall crazy"!!! he sprayed tire spank on EWverything. I hate when people do that. Only makes a mess. Tire shine hides dry plastic that would otherwise look gray....etc.. He's got it all over the dash, the tires/wheels, the wheel well liners, the frame, engine, basically everywhere where there's plastic. Armorall hides alot, so just beware. I'm a detail shop owner. trust me, I know!

Just because Diesels last a long time doesn't mean that those miles don't effect things like the Diff gears, wheel bearings. All the bearings inside the differentials, transmission(not rebuilt if he cannot prove it), radiator, A/C system, balljoints, shocks, springs, transfer case, sensors, exhaust...etc
The rear tailgate and bed is all messed up. They painted the rear pass taillight section black above it?????
The truck is a plain jane Diesel QC with the exception of the lift and wheels. May even needs new shocks and springs because of the miles??? Needs tires within a month or 2 of ownership because those are down to like 4/32nds

He tells you it has frame damage. That right there would turn me away as it was prob. close to being salvaged. Ohh, it looks like a QC w/an 8ft box. Is that what you want? That's a really long truck!

I would say the truck is worth $9500 topps. It only has the regular turbo diesel not the HO version.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

281k is a lot. for a gas, a dealbreaker for sure. for a diesel, its just a big turnoff (similar to a car with 150k). All the diesels have 6 cyl and you wont even feel a 6000lb load back there. It'll haul 12-15k. There are a few red flags on there: mileage, frame damage, and the wear and tear on the drive/suspension components from the lift. You should NOT even think about buying this truck without not just seeing it first, but getting a mechanic to do a thorough inspection of it. I gaurantee theres gonna be more stuff wrong with it that you wouldnt find but a mechanic would. Good luck, keep us posted on what you do

Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Cory S

Then i will probably pass this one up, I have time to shop for a good deal. I would like a setup similar to this for around 10 grand. Any advice on things to look for; year, options, etc?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

i would buy a Deisel that had under 200kmi, but nothing over that. And only if there were mainenance reciepts to show scheduled mainenance. if a person goes to one or 2 places, they can usually go there and have them print a list of things that have been over the course of ownership. Even Jiffy lube can print out a slip for customers. Getting a Deisel for $10k is going to be a tough one. Either the mileage is going to be high or the body/drivetrain is going to be beat up pretty bad.
If a truck that had 280kmi on it but had all maintenance reciepts and the body was not bead up like the bed of this one and had stock components, I would be looking into the purchase.

Not all people that install lifts are offroad junkies, but, how do you ever know? You never know what kind of terrain they ar going through...etc.. For ex. All these offroad guys seem to love driving through water like their truck is a boat or something??? Driving through water, especially deep water(over the axles) get's water and condesation inside the differential. Offroaders should change their diff fluid more often than onroad guys for that reason.

Highway miles where grandpa pulls his motorhome for 280kmi all highway is diff from someone who drives around town all the time and goes offroading.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Cory S

Well, I'm thinking this truck has got to be highway miles, as claimed...who drives 40,000 miles a year city? I don't really care about the year either, if I need to go older to meet my budget and get a more reliable truck then that's fine.

Last edited by Cory S; 06-03-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Lots of guys that I know drive 40kmi per year mixed. My wife drove almost 30kmi last year. Mostly country roads.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Ohh, Hammer, I was able to retrieve your message, but I still cannot access my inbox nor reply back to your message. Pyro said it would be a week of PA. never said anything about removing my PM box??? Like I can't even see it. it's not there, but it was when you PM'd me. I left it now it's gone again.
Anyways, that was last Friday or Saturday???? I've got a few days left for your damn approvals. Ohh, what good are approvals if i can modify without control afterwards???.....

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?