3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Two motorcycles into the back of a shortbed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 PM
wingnutks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two motorcycles into the back of a shortbed?

I was going to try and fit two sportbikes into the back of my 1500. I am pretty sure that there is enough side to side clearance, and the tailgate will have to stay down. However, I was wondering how I can tie down the inside handlebars of each bike. The truck has a drop in bedliner... it has the 4 cleats on the outside of all 4 corners. How can I strap the inside handlebars down? Are there any bed anchors that can be used with drop in bedliners?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
beez
Rookie

I haul sportbikes in mine but two is going to be a little rough. I would maybe look into getting wheel chauks to help you out in the front. Otherwise maybe stop by a truck n stuff shop or whatever your local one is and see if they make a tie down hook you can drill into your bed in the middle. You really only have to worry about getting the front ends strapped down. Just be careful.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by beez
I haul sportbikes in mine but two is going to be a little rough. I would maybe look into getting wheel chauks to help you out in the front. Otherwise maybe stop by a truck n stuff shop or whatever your local one is and see if they make a tie down hook you can drill into your bed in the middle. You really only have to worry about getting the front ends strapped down. Just be careful.
I have trailored two bike before and all you really need is one strap for each handle bar and the bike usually dont move at all. I just need a way to secure the inside bar of each bike.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
sos
All Star

Can't you just cross it thru the other bike? Or lash the two together really well then just put the straps on the outside of each.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

Originally Posted by wingnutks
I have trailored two bike before and all you really need is one strap for each handle bar and the bike usually dont move at all. I just need a way to secure the inside bar of each bike.
^+1
i did the same one strap per handle bar, so each the front 2 cleats will have 2 strap hooks to them. I went on a 100+ mile trip with no problems.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Jason D
Veteran

All kinds of people doing it on the r6 forum I am on.

I gave up and bought a three rail trailer because my truck is to tall. When trying to crest the top of the ramp at the tailgate my fairings on my R6 catch even with an 8 foot ramp. My buddies Buell and another friends Ninja both had no issues though.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...ht=bikes+truck

Last edited by Jason D; 06-10-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 AM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by bigpappaholt
^+1
i did the same one strap per handle bar, so each the front 2 cleats will have 2 strap hooks to them. I went on a 100+ mile trip with no problems.
I know, but I am just wondering if I can run the strap from one bike thru the rim of the other bike to the cleat. Id rather not put a tie down in the front of the bed. After cutting a hole in the drop in bed liner water could get under it.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 AM
AhmedRam
Professional

here you go. we did that with some straps and it was fine but we were on road not offroad
Name:  bikes.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  42.1 KB
Name:  bikes2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  44.6 KB

Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 AM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

I know, but I am just wondering if I can run the strap from one bike thru the rim of the other bike to the cleat. Id rather not put a tie down in the front of the bed. After cutting a hole in the drop in bed liner water could get under it.
yes, i ran the strap through the other bikes rim to the cleat. make sure you have some good ramps and a buddy to help. loading and unloading can be tricky esp. if you have a lift.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

yes, i ran the strap through the other bikes rim to the cleat. make sure you have some good ramps and a buddy to help. loading and unloading can be tricky esp. if you have a lift.

Quick Reply: Two motorcycles into the back of a shortbed?