3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

true dual worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Muppet
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true dual worth it?

Is getting 2 mufflers and having a true dual exhaust any better than getting a nice muffler that has single in dual out?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A lot of people run true dual and love it. I've been doing my own exhaust work since I was 16 (twenty-six years ago, ugh! I'm getting old!) and the guy who taught me believed you should always tie both sides in somewhere. So I've always used a "Y" or "H" pipe somewhere along the line, or simply run dual to a 2 IN/2 OUT muffler to achieve this, letter the muffler be the "X" pipe, as it were.

Currently I'm running dual out my LT Headers right to just about 8" before the muffler, then into a very short, unrestrictive "Y" pipe into the muffler, then splitting it from the dual outs to the dual stainless tips...

Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

True duals means separate manifold pipes, not the factory y-pipe then branched off. No gains to be had that way. Stock y-pipe is the biggest restriction in the exhaust where it sandwiches together. Terrible design. Get rid of that and you'll def help out with flow and sound.

Also, 2 mufflers could mean more restriction flow in CFM's than 1 muffler, but that all depends on the muffler design itself. pair 2 Flows together and you'll choke off the exhaust.....not really, but just over exaggerating a bit..lol

Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Muppet
Rookie

Hmm.. Think I am just going to go the easy way and toss a Mangaflow on. And find some Cut outs to put in there for when I really want to be loud.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
BlacknRed06
Rookie

Instead of doing true dual I woud go with LT's, off-road Y-pipe and do which ever cat back set up from there... I prefer magniflow, like the sound and performance. With the off-road y-pipe you will need to know someone at the emissions station to pass tho LOL

Quick Reply: true dual worth it?