3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cab roof lights for a 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
I think they look super good on a four wheel drive truck. I just have a hard time thinking about drilling into the roof of my truck. WHo am i kidding, i would do it in a heart beat. lol
lol im actually gonna take my kit to a local body shop for the install. that way they're all perfectly aligned and right where they're suppose to be. and if they screw it up i dont have to pay for the roof to be fixed and repainted. well worth the $100 to let the pros do it on this mod.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

yea thats true. My philosophy is this though. On a simple mod, if a shop can do it 'perfect', why cant I? lol. Your point is valid though; my insurance wont cover my roof if I jack it up. lol

Old 06-11-2009, 03:18 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love them on mine, but somehow I hooked up to the wrong wire and they would be on anytime my key was turned to on, so I added a switch onto my overhead console so I don't have em on all the time.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I didn't know about the harness hidden inside the passenger pillar when I did mine. Ran the wires down the driver side on and out the little grommet hole straight into the fuse box, where I wired it directly to the relay.

Nice thing though, when I did the SRT pillar mod with the transmission temp gauge, I had a nice set of wires running right alongside the gauge to tap into as the gauge also should come on with the running lights.

Although I can certainly understand not wanting to drill into your cab, there is a great level of satisfaction and personal pride when you stand back and look at a mod that you installed yourself...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Oh heck yes, I agree completely. Which is why Ioptedd to paint my handles on the truck myself. Also why I pump my own gas... still, my number one favorite mod. Something about having a full tank of gas...

Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself.. its super easy and there is more satisfaction when you do it... If you follow the write ups and lay it out like they say then you should have no problem.. And use the passenger pillar harness, its easier lol..

Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
I think they look super good on a four wheel drive truck.
because the 4wds look so much better than the 2wd lol

Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
xill
Captain

its not so much the wiring that puts me off, ive done things like that with my other vehicles, and its not so much the drilling that bothers me either, its getting the drill marks perfectly aligned and centered. but i guess with enough prep and measuring and re-measuring it should be fine. what the hell, i'll do it myself. if i screw it up its just a spot of bondo, got new paint on the way anyhow.

and yea the full tank of gas, i never understand that myself, but for some reason every vehicle drives smoother and feels better on full vs a half tank. maybe freshness of the fuel? maybe smaller sediment-to-liquid ratio? who knows...

Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
NYBowbender

Originally Posted by xill
its not so much the wiring that puts me off, ive done things like that with my other vehicles, and its not so much the drilling that bothers me either, its getting the drill marks perfectly aligned and centered. but i guess with enough prep and measuring and re-measuring it should be fine. what the hell, i'll do it myself. if i screw it up its just a spot of bondo, got new paint on the way anyhow.

and yea the full tank of gas, i never understand that myself, but for some reason every vehicle drives smoother and feels better on full vs a half tank. maybe freshness of the fuel? maybe smaller sediment-to-liquid ratio? who knows...
I'd love to do this myself, but I can't find any guidance on what the location or spacing of the lights should be... my biggest fear is having it look like I did it myself after it's done!

Does anyone know where I can find something that defines the proper location for the lights?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The actual Mopar cab lights ship with a template. I've not seen any others though.

I posted about a year or so ago that if anyone bought the Mopar ones if they would send it to me, I'd make copies and send them to anyone for just the cost to mail it. If I used thin enough stock, I'm sure I could fold it to fit in a manila envelope. But nobody responded. I'm not surprised, I think the stock ones are ugly...

When I did it, the total install was about 3 hours, but the first hour and a half was measuring, re-measuring, setting them in place and getting back and looking, re-measuring and then getting over the fear of drilling into the roof.

Quick Reply: cab roof lights for a 1500?