3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pre-Runner Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Runner Project

So now that I have the lift kit installed I've decided that I'm going to use it as a base platform to build my truck into a pre-runner. You don't see too many Ram's blasting the desert, which is a shame because they have the best qualifications outta any of the trucks in it's class

ANYWAYS, My question here is would I be able to stack my DayStar spacers back on top of the front coils to gain a total of 8.5" of lift in the front? Or would this cause problems?

If this works then I'm going to do the add-a-leaf and gain another 1" in the rear, and if it doesn't then I'm going to swap out the 3" blocks I currently have for 1 or 2" blocks and just drop the rear a bit.

Then once I'm done with all that I'm replacing the shocks with some Bilstein's or Fox's (haven't made up my mind on which yet), getting a pre-runner light bar w/ lights built by a buddy, and then custom-fabbing a pre-runner skidplate for up front.

So who thinks I should go for it and who says it's just bad news?
Any input is welcome

Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

go for it! I grew up around the socal prerunner stuff and think its basass! only thing, i would stay away from the addaleaf in the rear, it would be pretty stiff and i would think you would want it kinda soft in the rear for landings n stuff. that would look sweet: skid plate, tube bumpers, fenders, bedskirts, all trimmed up...ohhh yeaahhhh!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO IT, and yes you can stack a spacer on with the lift that we have. I have been considering doing it myself. I just feel dumb every winter with my big lifted truck and having trouble getting around in the snow. I guess I am just gonna start buying more sand bags. One more thing, if you get the new spacer, would you get the kit that relocates where the shocks attach? or would you be buying for say a rancho 1100?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

I'm not sure about the new spacers. The ones I have just stack on top of the coil spring and under the top of the strut where the coil would normally reside. The only reason I was gonna do the add-a-leaf would be because I'm not sure if anyone makes a 4" block. But that would be an easy fab.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I say do it, if it rides too rough take it out till you can buy new shocks. And I think the blocks are universal, so you could get a 1 inch block and stack it with a longer U bolt. Or get air bags in the back and leave them air'd up all the time.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Army_HEMI2WD
Rookie

im not totally sure but i think somebody makes a 4 inch block..dont stack blocks..esp if your gonna drive her like a real prerunner youll regret it in the long run. you could get a new leafset maybe and then not need a big block. check out KORE!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:25 PM
draco8494
Captain

well stacking a spacer ontop of your coil spring will give you a lil more lift but you will almost be at fill droop, a pre-runner style truck you want more travel, same goes for the blocks, youll have alot of wheel hop with blocks out back and sandy conditions...try buying smaller stuff for more travel and defiantly look into some air bumps!! and x2 on pre-runner dodges love em with skirted beds and fiberglass fenders

Old 08-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

if your gonna be jumping that thing u may want to think about lightening it up a bit. at least in the front where all the breakable suspension components are

Old 08-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

what prerunner doesn't jump?

but yeah.. beef it up in the front.. at least your not building a mudder... those guys break everything. I believe thats the hardest offroading on the trucks do to everything that you need to build an effective vehicle... those guys break Dana 60s routinely

Old 08-22-2009, 04:08 PM
draco8494
Captain

yeah the way to go if ur mud slingin is 2 1/2 tons and a military xfer case, or 5tons with planitarys but thats what monster trucks use o_0

Quick Reply: Pre-Runner Project