3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-Cutout installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a cutout with out the electronic part and it sounds awesome there are times were it is raspy but most the time it sounds amazing you just have to learn how to control the throttle i dont want to put a muffler on it lol

Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by boyd98
I got a Flowmaster super 40 single in dual out.....

I have been consider the same mod from way back before i put on the new muffler

Do you guys that have the cut outs only have the stock muffler

if you were me would you do the mod, how much louder is it than the super 40....
I have the same FM Super 40 with my cutout right in front of it and I can tell you that with the cutout open it is a lot louder than it is with the exhaust running through the muffler.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 PM
gmb4fords
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone ever had flowmaster one chambers on their rides? i had them on my yukon before i got this truck. i had true duals. manifolds to muffler to tip. oh and i had cats on. it was loud and sounded throaty rather than straight piped... or just loud and obnoxious. not to call a cutout obnoxios, it would onoly be if you couldnt shut it up... which is why im thinking about the cutout. so anyone got the flow one chambers? they are only about 9.5 inches long so you would know if yu had them

Old 06-13-2009, 09:19 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Question: do the cutouts just dump or are they piped back to the tail pipe(s)?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Question: do the cutouts just dump or are they piped back to the tail pipe(s)?
The cutout just dumps the exhaust.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:03 AM
boyd98
Veteran

Thx for the feedback on the FM 40's 44's

Any recommendations on a brand....how easy is the electronic installation, where do you flip your switch from.

I was assuming you'd swap out the lighter at the bottom of the drivers side and make it into a push button?

How much installed, would you have the muffler shop install it and then wire it yourself; im not much of a welder but i'd like to think i could wire it....

Old 06-14-2009, 02:55 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Any recommendations on a brand....how easy is the electronic installation, where do you flip your switch from.

I was assuming you'd swap out the lighter at the bottom of the drivers side and make it into a push button?

How much installed, would you have the muffler shop install it and then wire it yourself; im not much of a welder but i'd like to think i could wire it....
The two best brands or cutouts would either be QTP or DMH.
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/
http://www.dmhperformance.com/

It's not too hard to install, just cut a piece of pipe long enough to fit the dump pipe, weld it in place, and run the wires. I know those are simplified directions, but that's basically it. I don't have any tools or anyplace to work on my truck, so I went to a muffler shop, and it cost me $40 to have the pipe welded in and the cutout installed and wired. My switch is under the light switch, where the button for the adjustable pedals would be (at least on the 06-08's).

The green switch on the left is for my grille lights, the long switch to the right is for the cutout.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I have the same FM Super 40 with my cutout right in front of it and I can tell you that with the cutout open it is a lot louder than it is with the exhaust running through the muffler.
x2. Ive got a FM Detla 40 catback and like he said, a noticable difference with the cutout opened versus closed. But the 40 is better than stock exhaust also. LOL

Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Brand recommendation would be the DMH cutout, it has the best warranty out of all the cutouts offered. I have never had any problems with mine.

For button location I pulled out the cigar lighter, used the wiring that was back there already for the lighter to power my cutout and then replaced the lighter with the switch. I put a pic of it at the bottom of this post.

I installed mine myself so I don't know what you would be looking at for an installation price but I would imagine that it would be fairly cheap.

Name:  CigLighter.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  84.6 KB

Old 06-14-2009, 08:22 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Also if you use the one on the bottom, at least in mine, that is the one that is constantly powered, if you use the one under the vent like teach posted it is only on when the truck is on. Personally I chose to use the one under the vent where teach put his and it works out really well

Quick Reply: E-Cutout installed!!!