3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuner Use and/or Liabilities?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Ram4wd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tuner Use and/or Liabilities?

Anyone using a tuner/programmer - doesn't matter which one for the purpose of this question, what octane level tune are you running?

If you are using some version of a "Performance", i.e. high octane 91 or better, tune on your Hemi Ram. What benefits/factors keep you on this tune?

For those of you using any version of an 87 octane tune, what prompts you to use this tune over the high octane tune?

Is anyone aware of any detrimental effects of long-term use of either of these tuning levels; assuming appropriate fuel octane usage?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I'm running the 87 tune with 89 oct at the moment...still barks second like it did on 91 tune and has zero knock retard. There is a little less power in the very high rpms with the 87 tune but not much. Diablo still claims a 15rwhp gain with the 87 tune and I believe it.

I changed to 87 tune due to summer fuel prices are going to sky rocket and I already pulled a good amount of timing from the 91 tune...even after that I was still getting a few degrees of retard for whatever reason. I would rather have the 91 tune with 93 oct but that's not an option in my state.

As far as long term effects, as long as you're not getting detonation your engine will be fine. Your egr/cats/exhaust will actually fair better from the reduction of soot/carbon (leaner a/f ratio)...which I have zero at the tailpipe since the tune. On the factory tune I had so much soot it was starting to wrap around the edge of the tailpipe. Now there will be more stress on your tranny/rear as with any power gain...little more so on your tranny from increased line pressures for those firmer shifts.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

93 octane tune with MDS off.
Better mileage than stock so the extra $3 per fill up more than pays for itself in increased gas mileage. The added power and better shifting tranny are a bonus!!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running the highest octane tune on my Superchips 3715 (I think it's 92) with 93 octane simply because it doesn't matter. I want all possible power and who cares if I could have saved a whopping $4 on a whole tank? I fill up maybe 3 times a month and if $12-16 a month kills me I'm driving the wrong vehicle.

Most power + most knock resistance is exactly what I'm looking for. The way I drive it I'm lucky to see more than 10 mpg anyway.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:46 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Yea you say that now...wait till it gets close to $5 bucks a gallon again and costs $130 a tank. It's already 3.10 again for 89 in my area.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the 93 tune from the DSP with 93 or 94 gas (depends on the station). I choose that tune simply bc I like to get the most power that I can out of my truck. If your truck is running properly and you are not seeing any LT KR from your tune I don't really think there are any long term negative effects that these tuners have on our trucks.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Yea you say that now...wait till it gets close to $5 bucks a gallon again and costs $130 a tank. It's already 3.10 again for 89 in my area.
That's just it: the more a tank costs, the less important a $4-5 difference becomes. Back when 30 gallons would cost $30, $5 more is a difference. Once you shell out $75-100+ for a tank, the same $5 means nothing at that point, even when stations increase the raping by making the differences between grades 15-20 cents instead of 10 each so they can play the "who has the cheapest 87" game.

Quick Reply: Tuner Use and/or Liabilities?