3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torsion bar crank mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsion bar crank mod

This is a question for the guys who have done it without the key, when you lifted it, how much does the bolt have to move to gain successful lift in reality, say if my bolt only looks like it can only go up an inch, will that give the suspension just an inch of lift, or will it give it like 2 inches because of angles and such? Im about to do this tomorrow on my 02 ram sport that I just got on saturday. thanks for the help.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Its hard to say how much a inch of bolt would lift the front end. What you do is on a level ground, measure the distance you have now from the top of the tire to the fender well, raise the front tires off the ground to take the load off, put the truck on jack stands and crawl under there and crank a few turns. Set the truck down and measure to see what you have gained and to make sure both sides are the same. Repeat until you are out of adjustment or you reach the lift you want. Then go get an alignment done.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Alright, I was just curious to see if anyone else felt that same way when they went to do theirs, almost like, wow, is that enough to even make a difference, I really feel like my front end sits pretty low also... so maybe its not for every inch of the bolt you gain an inch of lift, maybe its like per inch of bolt 2 inches or something. I sure hope so!!! Ill post pictures of my new pickup tomorrow, before and after I torque it!!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Martin460
Rookie

For an inch of lift i turn the bolt 5mm.(1/5 inch)

Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful as to how much lift you attain.
On a 4x4, the CV axles will and do, get damaged by too acute an angle on them.
You can get everything from torn CV boots, to an actual prematurely worn CV joint from cranking too much.
More experienced guys on here will chime in about what is considered the max lift using this technique.
Measure as previously stated on a flat road, with a tape running through the center cap to the bottom lip of the wheel arch.
I believe from memory, a measurement of 41.5 - 42"'s with 20" wheels and the standard 175x60xR20 tyres, is maxed out???
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR
Its hard to say how much a inch of bolt would lift the front end. What you do is on a level ground, measure the distance you have now from the top of the tire to the fender well, raise the front tires off the ground to take the load off, put the truck on jack stands and crawl under there and crank a few turns. Set the truck down and measure to see what you have gained and to make sure both sides are the same. Repeat until you are out of adjustment or you reach the lift you want. Then go get an alignment done.

and don't over do it. Al's correct about keeping an eye on the CV angles. 2.25" is what's needed for perfectly level. 2" would be about the max I'd go, after that, you also start to put a lot of torque on those torsion bars. I've never seen one fail, but it does make for a real stiff front end if you go too far...

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

yea, inch of bolt is plenty. happy cranking!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8 full turns on each of of my bolts gave me 3"

Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turned my bolts 5 turns and got 2" just make sure you measure both sides before and after so you know if its level.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Thanks guys!! great advice, Im real excited to get this done! At first I was really sad to leave the straight axel setup thinking I would have a hard time getting it leveled, now Im really happy, it seems like this is a great solution to that. I will measure it, I only want to go about an inch and a half, my truck has that front end look that still looks good if it at least stays a little lower than some trucks, and for me to say that is saying a lot, because lifted trucks are my deal... but I like the class in this one. Again, thanks to everyone for the help!!!

Quick Reply: torsion bar crank mod