3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torsion bar crank mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
That1guy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to do this to my ram also. If I crank it about an inch to an inch and a half. How will it affect the stiffness? I like how the truck handles and rides, but hate how a 4wheeldrive truck drags the from air dam on everything.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Personal feel I think, but only an inch to an inch and a half shouldn't stiffen it up too much. I didn't crank mine, the suspension kit leveled mine, but I've done it on two torsion bar Dodges and one Cheby for friends of mine. Two of 'em liked the feel better, felt more like a "truck", one guy hated it and cranked it back down, bought the keys and swore it was less stiff. I couldn't tell a difference between the two.
Nice thing is, if you don't like it, you can always crank it back down...

Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Personal feel I think, but only an inch to an inch and a half shouldn't stiffen it up too much. I didn't crank mine, the suspension kit leveled mine, but I've done it on two torsion bar Dodges and one Cheby for friends of mine. Two of 'em liked the feel better, felt more like a "truck", one guy hated it and cranked it back down, bought the keys and swore it was less stiff. I couldn't tell a difference between the two.
Nice thing is, if you don't like it, you can always crank it back down...
yup. i cranked mine up a bunch and drove it for a couple days, didn't like it. cranked them halfway back down, then got an alignment. like it better with a little rake like 98cherry does.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I know that this is a free solution to the problem, but wouldn't the cost of $100 torsion keys or spacers be a better investment when you have to replace expensive parts when they wear out? IDK, not being a smart ***, I'm just about to level my truck and I would feel more comfortable using products manufactured for the job rather then tweeking something and not being certain if I'm making my truck a ticking timebomb to have to drag into the shop.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

and don't over do it. Al's correct about keeping an eye on the CV angles. 2.25" is what's needed for perfectly level. 2" would be about the max I'd go, after that, you also start to put a lot of torque on those torsion bars. I've never seen one fail, but it does make for a real stiff front end if you go too far...
Is this two inch measurement for 1500 only or does it not really matter?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You do not have an IFS truck, basically this whole thread pertains to the '02-'05 torsion bar IFS 1500s. On these trucks, the new keys basically change the angle where the torsion bar fits into them. I've never seen anything to indicate that they do a better job than simply adjusting the bolts on stock keys.
You do NOT have CV joints, but rather a solid front axle, therefore, your angle will never change.
You sir, are in a far better position to lift just as much as you like, or can afford...

Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

So I just finished leveling it out, and an answer to the guy who asked about the keys being a better way to go, they dont really make a difference on the angles, so actually the keys dont help for longevity either, they are the same result on the cv's, I think the keys are honestly just something that they offer to get the same result but earn money out of it really, especially after I just now finished mine. Looks great, i went just shy of 2 inches of lift so I can keep a little rake, but not much, heres a link to my photobucket with the pictures.

here you go fellas!! Im proud to say Im a part of the 3rd gen section of this forum now!
http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/p.../New%20Pickup/

Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Hey cherryRam please let me know how the truck feels after you raised it. I'm wanting to do this really bad, but I dont want to change the handling.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by That1guy
Hey cherryRam please let me know how the truck feels after you raised it. I'm wanting to do this really bad, but I dont want to change the handling.

go try it out! you don't even need to lift the truck off the ground, just get it up a few inches so its easier to turn the bolts! you can do this in 10 minutes and feel for yourself. don't like it? turn it back!

hey cherry, you desperately need to paint those fender flares, they are killing the look of your truck. but other than that, nice ride!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Ok so lets say I add 2 inches. Will the stock shocks be long enough?

Quick Reply: torsion bar crank mod