3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple of questions on replacement bulbs/lights and a tip on a good cleaning product

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
cmherrmann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions on replacement bulbs/lights and a tip on a good cleaning product

First I don't have the cash right now for expensive HID lighting, all I want to do is get better lighting so I can see the the darn deer better and make for an overall better night driving experience since my night time vision is not as good as it used to be.

What is a better option:

Top end Sylvania Silverstars in the headlights and fogs for about $30.00 total for both sets off of Ebay.

Combination of cheaper HIDs in the fogs like vvme http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20023.html and Silverstars in the main lights for $75.00 total

Cheap HIDs in both, one of the advertisers on here had them with metal water proof ballasts for about $80.00 total would be about $170.00 for both.

For the cleaning tip I tried some of the Turtle Wax interior cleaner with Oxi-Clean in it and the stuff takes out just about any stain. I used a small bristle brush that has stiffer bristles than the one on the can.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,16

Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

just get some silverstar upgrades for the lights cheap and easy
for cleaning i like armoral produtcs in and out

Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the Silverstars for the $35 on ebay deal. Much better than stock. Hassle free from cheap knock-off HID crap.

As far as using the Oxi-clean. i think that's actually a BlueMagic brand and is in a light blue/white can. Does work good, just becareful using so much as the chemicals will remain in your carpet and upholstry and actually do more harm than good. Dry soap in upholstry get's dirtier much faster than clean non soapy fabric. Your hand cannot tell the diff. So if you use the stuff on your seats, put water in a squirt bottle and soak it and vacuum it up and let dry.(distilled water won't leave stains) Tap water will leave a residue stain almost always. Or use bottled water if you can.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Matt99
Champion

Don't buy a cheap HID kit. I have paid $80 twice for cheap Ebay kits(long story) and ended up; with two working ballasts but no bulbs/harnesses. Then I bought a quality kit from Twiggy and it looks great, minimal wires no flicker and slim ballasts. They don't make Silverstar Ultras for our headlights, but the regular Silverstars still look good. Some of those cheap "HID-Like" bulbs look good but don't last long.

I bought a Bissel Spot-Bot for my truck/spots inside the house. Works great. I use Oreck brand shampoo for it also. Like Dog said, vacuum the carpet AFTER cleaning it to get all the liquid out. Spray Dry Clean works good too! Armor All products are great for protecting, and use a micro fiber towel to get dust off the dash

As fa

Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM
cmherrmann

Thanks guys I will go the Sylvania route until I get the cash to get the real thing from Twiggy. I'm thinking about a set of Helas in the grill, whats the best method for wiring them in, connect right to the high beam positive and ground? If so anyone know which wire is the high beam positive?

I made sure I vacuumed real well after it dried.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Matt99
Champion

Do you want them to come on when you cut your highs on?

Quick Reply: Couple of questions on replacement bulbs/lights and a tip on a good cleaning product