3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 ram 1500 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
rktman16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ram 1500 overheating

I am new to the site and I need some help. I have an '04 ram 1500 3.7 V6 and all of a sudden it has started overheating. The issue started on the highway, but has now also moved to the city. Basically after about 5 minutes of driving the temp starts steadily moving towards red line. The fan seems to beworking fine and I had the t-stat replaced but no relief. I had one mechanic tell me that it was the clutch fan and another that I needed to replace the radiator. I tried "burping the system but to no avail. I checked the oil and there doesnt seem to be any water in it, so I don't think it is a cracked head or head gasket. Can anyone help?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM
rktman16
Default p.s.

after checking related posts I wanted to give some additional info... There are no leaks that I can see, and when I run the heater the temp retreats. Also, the heater is blowing hot (its about 100 degrees in Texas and that don't help me, but seems to help the temp gauge).

Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

plugged radiator.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 PM
tutanker
Default 2004 Overheating (me too)

I've got the same symptoms you had rtkman16. My only difference is that I've got a 4.7 V8 and a 6" lift kit. I lifted it three years ago so doubt that's the problem (might make the engine work a little harder, but was fine until last summer). Initially I only had the problem during the middle of the day when driving fast on the highway. Now I seem to get a little past the center tick in city driving too (in hot daytime driving, evenings are fine). I haven't tried the "heater" trick to see if there's an affect, but will. Did you ever figure the problem out? If there's a blockage, I'm assuming that a flush may do the trick.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Two things to check. I know that you said that the fan seems to be working fine but just because its spinning doesn't mean that the clutch is holding up at higher rpms which means that the cfm isn't what's needed. Second is that radiator cap. remember that the cooling system works on a 8-12psi pressure to help maintain the coolant from boiling. the radiator cap is a regulator so as the cheapest option replace it first.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 PM
tutanker

the radiator cap is a regulator so as the cheapest option replace it first.
Someone suggested that at work, but my cap looks and feels good. Heck, for the price it's worth a try.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 PM
kellysdream

I'm new here and the reason I found this is because I'm having the same issue. I have a 2004 ram quad 4.7 liter and just under 50,000 miles. Started running hot took it in about a week ago and they are still trying to find the problem. He keeps thinking it's a blown head gasket but trying to rule out everything else.

Is there issues with 04 4.7 engines??? I'm really hoping they can find something with the radiator but it's not looking to promising.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 AM
tutanker

He keeps thinking it's a blown head gasket
Wow, sure hope that's not the problem with yours (or mine). Please keep us posted.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Got a new suggestion...not sure how mechanically inclined you are but since you have a new t-stat then the odds of getting a bad one are slim so... try taking out the t-stat and running the engine. this will tell you if it is a flow problem. so either some clogging in the radiator or pump isn't putting out. I'm also sure that someone looked at the external condition of your hoses but try getting the engine up to temp and have someone rev it while you look at the inlet hose and check for collapsing which would still be a flow issue.

Quick Reply: 2004 ram 1500 overheating