3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling Kit Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kit Inquiry

Hey guys, I'm new here, and this is my first ever post, I expect to be welcomed with open arms

I installed my new leveling kit today from Fat Bob's Garage, I also have the rear add-a-leafs, and plan to do them at a later date. The first issue I had was that the GM Torsion Bar Unloading adapter was not in the kit, I emailed Fat Bob, and have yet to hear back. So I figured, what the hey? I work at a shop, we should be able to get this to work... So, after figuring out which ball joint tool would work best I tackled the job.

After all was said and done the trucked looked awesome!! Maybe I'm just ****, but I decided to measure before and after, since I work at a German Auto repair facility I only had a metric tape measure... I went from 805 on the DS to 900ish, and the PS 815 to 905ish... So, by my superior math skills this is about 3.5" of lift, not what I expected! I aimed for holes and bumps on the way home, and didn't notice any serious difference in ride stiffness or harshness, so am I cool, or is there the possibility that I keyed the torsion bars wrong? I thought I installed them exactly they way they showed in the pic, but I have the adjustment bolt backed almost the entire way out and I'm jacked up pretty high... Thoughts?

I want the truck to be ready for the rims and tires when they arrive next Wednesday, so hopefully she'll be all set up. Much love to all, thanks for your help!!

Josh

Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wherre are your pics and where are you located at? And did you get your front end re-aligned?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

I'm located in New Jersey, does that change the way I should've installed the keys?

I have an alignment scheduled for July 6th at Krazy House Customs who deals with 4 wheel drive vehicles and have an alignment rack for that, our alignment rack at work can't handle the truck. I was also told to bring it in after the front keys were done, the rear add-a-leaf was done, and the new rims and tires were on, because that would all affect things.

I don't have pictures of my install, or before and afters of the truck, but the installation instructions that were included with the kit were here:
http://fatbobsgarage.com/instructions/1111-EXT11.pdf
Notice how the keepers are installed in a "limp" position? I'm wondering if that shouldn't have been the case, since the old ones are positioned up into the crossmember with very little pressure when the truck is unloaded(off the ground). I used a heavy duty ball joint tool that brought it up pretty easily, but it's a huge tool, and does most of the work for you. Let me know your thoughts...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the alignment date you want to keep, or you'll have a lot of issues after leveling. Least of which will be tire wear.

3.5" is a lot of torsion bar lift on that truck, I'm surprised you haven't noticed the front end driving a lot stiffer. However, you really need to watch the angle you're putting those CV axles at, the higher the angle, the more wear and torque you put on them. 3.5" is getting on the extreme side IMO. The money you saved in using just a level kit to obtain that height and not going with a 2" level plus body lift, may end up costing you in repairs in the end.
Just giving you things to look out for.

BTW: Welcome to the forum...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:31 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i tweaked my torsions bars up 3" w/o new keys and i haven't had a problem at all.
is your truck level now with the rear add-a-leafs? ive heard people putting them on with the new keys and they are still not level.

welcome to DF!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

Without a doubt I'm keeping the alignment date, I know it's worth it.

Maybe I didn't notice anything because I'm using to driving my lowered BMW with sport springs/suspension, that thing rides like a 2x4 on wheels... I thought that 3.5" was extreme too, especially since the kit said 2"-3", so I'm thinking I mis-keyed it and I'm an inch high off that spec. I don't want to be that high with the keys, and I know what can happen if I keep driving around like that. I was honestly expecting about 2", so I could clear 35's
-When you guys have installed the keys, do they sit up in the cross member and get loaded about an inch to get the keepers in, or does it get loaded about 3" to get into the spot? I'm really thinking that the picture in the installation instructions was bunk, and that they should've gone in in *******ly the same position as the stockers.

Right now it's sitting level, but haven't put the rear add-a-leafs in yet, I would expect the back to still sit up a little higher, which is what I want. Since I still go to home depot and load the back up with sheetrock I don't want it to excessively sag.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JoshGotaHemi
I went from 805 on the DS to 900ish, and the PS 815 to 905ish...
First off WELCOME TO DF!! If I understand this ^^ both sides are not sitting at the same height, sounds like it wasn't before the lift and ,even though its closer, still isn't after. Sounds like you need to crank or uncrank the adjustment bolts to even it out. Sorry I can't help with the over all Height problem your having but without pics its hard to say.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

I was surprised when I took the initial measurements and the DS was lower than the PS, if anything I'd expect it to be the other way around, but I'll level it out once I figure out what's going on. I'm definitely thinking that the keys are off a tooth, now that I'm revisiting my math, I gained about 100 mm, which equals 3.93", so now we're talking almost 4" of lift. I sat around during lunch looking at the old keys, and am thinking that something is off. I'm going to bring the truck back to work next week and try things again backed off 1 tooth. I'll take some pictures while I'm working so maybe it can help someone if they're doing their keys sometime.

Does anyone know the suggested ride height for the Ram? Or what their Ram sits at? I was curious what I should be looking for when I was stock, so that should help when I dive back into this. I'll get some pics of the truck too, since I'm stoked to show you guys what the finished product looks like. Any other input is welcomed!

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit Inquiry