3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to me used truck question on 30,000 service

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
cmherrmann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me used truck question on 30,000 service

I just got an 07 Ram 1500 Quad 4X4 with LSD. It was a Dodge Certified vehicle with 32,000 miles on it so all of the service should be done. I asked the dealer for information on past work that had been done on the truck to make sure the 30,000 mile service was preformed.

They told me that they have no way to look up any work that was preformed other than what was done at their dealership, is that true or are they handing me a line of BS? I would think they would all be linked with technology the way it is.

I asked him how do they know if the service was done and he said they don't, they checked the fluids and said they looked good! Well that did not make me happy, so I said what if my rear goes out how will they know if regular service was done for warranty purposes. He said they would check the fluid, well what would stop me from changing it after the rear went out?

The front looks like it has RTV on it but the rear is hard to tell, it almost looks like a Red gasket.

Should I just change the fluids or wait until 45,000? I pulled a couple of the plugs and they gapped right at .0045 and looked good.

They did replace the tie rod ends , shocks, and all the brake pads and a few other minor things. They were really good on a few things that I found after the purchase, they replaced the cupholder assembly, the wiring to the outlet in the center console and an Aluminum Mag that had a chunk out of the edge.

Dodge told me that they could not give me maintenance info from a previous owner and had to get that info from the dealer.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

If it was me I would do all the maintenance work whether John Doe "SAID" it was done or not. I make it a priority when ever I buy a used vehicle to change all fluids check and or change plugs and brakes if needed just so I know when it was done last. But thats me and my

Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 PM
cmherrmann

Originally Posted by BEAR
If it was me I would do all the maintenance work whether John Doe "SAID" it was done or not. I make it a priority when ever I buy a used vehicle to change all fluids check and or change plugs and brakes if needed just so I know when it was done last. But thats me and my
That's exactly how I feel, the truck has 6/80,000 drive train and I plan on keeping it for a while. Since I'm still waiting for my manual, what is the mileage for the tranny fluid change?

Anything else to look at when doing the 30,000 fluids? I'm going to go Mobile 1 and put in the LSD additive fluid from the dealer.

How many miles do you guys run when using Mobile 1 Syn oil between changes? I know the Mobile 5000 but Mobile does not give any recommendation on the mileage when using full syn oil.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tranny is every 30k or 50k if you dont tow. front and rear dif every 15k. spark plugs at 30k

Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Dealers handing you a line of BS. they never properly change fluids. they just want to move vehicle out the door.
Also, it cannot be certified without proof of maintenance. I mean how can you? 32kmi and the diff should be done! i wouldn't buy unlesss they did the diff changes. It's easy to tell. Get yourself a flathead screwdriver and crawl under the rear where the spare tire is and pop that little rubber cap on the differential housing off. Stick your finger in and touch the fluid. if the fluid isn't like brand new looking, it has never been changed! And if the rear has never been changed, the front has never been done nor the transfer case.

Plugs need to be brand new, not just checked for spark gap. they must be changed every 30kmi or how else did they pass the certified test?? That's lack of maintenance right there.

Last edited by dirtydog; 06-19-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:41 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Dealers handing you a line of BS. they never properly change fluids. they just want to move vehicle out the door.
Also, it cannot be certified without proof of maintenance. I mean how can you? 32kmi and the diff should be done! i wouldn't buy unlesss they did the diff changes. It's easy to tell. Get yourself a flathead screwdriver and crawl under the rear where the spare tire is and pop that little rubber cap on the differential housing off. Stick your finger in and touch the fluid. if the fluid isn't like brand new looking, it has never been changed! And if the rear has never been changed, the front has never been done nor the transfer case.

Plugs need to be brand new, not just checked for spark gap. they must be changed every 30kmi or how else did they pass the certified test?? That's lack of maintenance right there.
Get Em Dog! lol The one thing Dog hates it lack of maintenance!!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR
Get Em Dog! lol The one thing Dog hates it lack of maintenance!!
and people that cant spell....hi dogg lol just playin mods / admins!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
and people that cant spell....hi dogg lol just playin mods / admins!!!!!

I am most paranoid about the maintenance and as far as spelling....It's just habit. I do it to my wife all the time, she hates it. I dunno, maybe i'm like the Monk on TV? Well maybe not that bad.....lmao

I have this feature on my computer where it underlines misspelled words and when I left click it shows a few close correctly spelled words. i have to spell check my sh*t all the time because i finger peck at 60wpm...lol

Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you use Firefox as your browser, it will underline misspelled words in red (RH will have a pure red screen, this we know).

As far as the original post, I would never trust the dealer and would do anything that was required at 30k myself. Even if it was done, you can bet they didn't use top quality lubricants.
I bought my Grand Cherokee used with 61k on it and the previous owner had ALL the service records, was taken to the dealer where purchased for recommended maintenance like clockwork. One invoice showed where the both diffs, transfer case and tranny were all done at 60k just 5 weeks before I bought it.
At about 69k I had a ratcheting in the rear end while turning, especially noticeable while turning in reverse. Since my GC is an Overland, with lockers in both the front and rear differentials, I assumed that nobody put any friction modifier in when they changed the fluid. When I popped the little rubber gasket to add it, I put my finger in and checked the condition of the fluid. IT WAS BLACK!!! No way it was changed only 9k miles earlier. So lesson learned, NEVER TRUST THE DEALER UNLESS YOU SEE THEM PERFORM THE WORK.
I proceeded to change both diffs and the transfer case fluids and used synthetics. I also had the tranny done at my local dealer, who I not only trust, but I get the same mechanic every time who I play golf with on occasion, and he lets me stand right there BSing with him while he does the work... Oh yeah, and the first thing the guy told me was the transmission pan still had the factory seal on it, so the dealer where the original owner bought it and had the work done had ripped her off, probably completely, on a $700 60k mile maintenance and tune up.

And before you chime in about "I thought you did all your own work", 'dog, I don't do the tranny changes anymore, too messy and I've never found a way to be able to catch all the fluid when dropping the pan in the driveway!!!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-19-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the service was done at a Dodge shop, there are records. If not, then... Doesn't mean they weren't done. Cheap insurance just to do it again. If you DIY, it's less than $200. The plugs "should" be done, but don't have to be. Wait 'til 50K for the plugs. Mine waited 87K.

Quick Reply: New to me used truck question on 30,000 service